Garage workshop

Go to solution Solved by jerome,

As it goes now one bedroom is my office/plastic kit assemble/painting.  The other bedroom is wood kit assemble/sanding/mast-yard making.  And then there is an empty garage.  My thought is to put scratch  builds and power tools out there.  Montana gets cold in the Winter and the snow between my house and garage too deep for my wheelchair.  So, I can only use that space from late Spring to early Fall.

So, paint and glues have to be brought in for the Winter.  What about wood stock, cut parts and the scratch model?  Do these need to be brought in out of the cold also?

If I could drywall and heat my garage, I would!  But that would mean no more tools, books and models.

11 hours ago, Frank Burroughs said:

What about wood stock, cut parts and the scratch model?  Do these need to be brought in out of the cold also?

Wood should always be stored in a dry and well temperated (aired) area, you can even stock it outside, as long as it is under a roof and aired. But I personally (since we work with much smaller scales and sizes) keep my stock in the garage (fortunately it is heated and is easy to access by a door from my utility room).

I most likely have plywood or other wood sheets of 2x1 ft or maximum 3x2 ft in different thickness (2 - 6 mm) so easy to store, the thicker ones I separate with little sticks so they don´t touch each other, the smaller sheets 300 x 210 mm I store in a little shelf in my room, i don´t separate them or anything, just like paper stacks I stack them in the shelf.

I don´t like the wood outside because it starts getting wavy and sometimes even soften up because of the moist.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Wood is fine in an unheated space.

Your paints definitely want to be in a warm space.

oils would be fine with freezing temperatures but not acrylic paint,

Acrylics and glues too should be brought into a warm area.

the models maybe fine.

there are a lot of variables in model construction so some can be frozen with no damage but other not so much.

Edited by jerome

A couple trips to the garage to bring in wood for jigs and selves for the wood workshop in my bedroom.  If I can sleep with dog hair, sawdust ain't nothing.  Looks like a trip to the dump and there will be room to more a large table to the center of the garage.  This Summer to arrange a layout to start scratch building next year.

A large drafting table and flat cabinet, used, would be an excellent find.

So, on the wood storage it sounds like it can be left in an unheated garage.  I will bring in the cut piece into the house and bring to temp before working with it.

Unsure about storing finished models out there.

2 hours ago, Frank Burroughs said:

Unsure about storing finished models out there.

I definitely wouldn´t store finished models in the cold garage. I would keep them in a dry and temperated area. Not heated but temperated above zero. Like I stated before, I would keep wood anyways in a temperated space, not heated maybe but like I said, above zero at least so they don´t get moistured by the damp and steam.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a