Line size for futtock shrouds

I'm moving on to the topmast shrouds on the Roter Lowe and had a question about the thread to use for the futtock shrouds. In my past ships, the topmast shrouds attached directly to the lower mast and did not involve any topmast deadeyes. On the Roter Lowe, the topmast shrouds run to deadeyes attached to the top. Those deadeyes have a ring beneath them for attaching the futtock shrouds. I was wondering if I used the same sized thread for the futtock shrouds as I use for the topmast shrouds or if I should use a thinner thread. I'm leaning toward to a thinner thread, but that is just a personal preference and might turn out horribly wrong.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

The futtock shrouds transfer forces from the topmast shrouds to the mast. Therrefore, I would think they would be the same diameter as the topmast shrouds. Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War says the futtock shrouds were the same size as the topmast shrouds.

Like Phil,  I would use Lees' formulas but keep in mind they are for English ships from 1625 to 1860 so there may be other info out there that is more appropriate.  For our scales, the Lees figures are probably very close.  I THINK my math is right on this. If you are unsure of the topmast shroud size, but know the lower mast diameters, again from Lees, you can multiply the diameter of the appropriate lower mast X 0.198 for the fore and main masts to get the circumference of the top mast shrouds and futtock shrouds.  The circumference of the mizzen futtock shrouds would be 0.25 the diameter of the mizzen lower mast.  At our scales finding the exact right size rope is difficult unless you make your own, but hopefully this might give you a little guidance. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU