150th anniversary of the only floating zip (postal) code in the world ( J. W. Wescott )

Interesting history of this mail/supply boat.  Should be noted, they do not operate in the winter season (January - March).  Also....the man interviewed in this story (Sam Buchanan) is an amazing great lakes model builder - many of his builds reside in different great lakes museums.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/westcott-150-years-1.7230731

Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the J.W. Wescott, the world's only floating zip code, is a tribute to maritime ingenuity. This unique mail boat continues to deliver letters and packages to ships on the Detroit River, symbolizing a remarkable blend of history and innovation in postal services.

As a hobbyist and a former Great Lakes mariner, I’ve made use of their services on a few occasions. I found it to be a great way to order stuff up from the US, and save a ton of $$ on postage (and sometimes other… uh….  fees 😉).

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

On 6/12/2024 at 9:18 AM, realworkingsailor said:

As a hobbyist and a former Great Lakes mariner, I’ve made use of their services on a few occasions. I found it to be a great way to order stuff up from the US, and save a ton of $$ on postage (and sometimes other… uh….  fees 😉).

Andy

I've heard, but not sure if true, that sometimes they'd have pizzas ordered from Windsor and delivery by the Westcott - we are pretty well known for having amazing pizza!

I missed that they were having this celebration - would be an easy trip across the border - probably spend more time crossing the bridge or tunnel and waiting in line at customs than actual travel time.

50 minutes ago, JKC27 said:

I've heard, but not sure if true, that sometimes they'd have pizzas ordered from Windsor and delivery by the Westcott - we are pretty well known for having amazing pizza!

I missed that they were having this celebration - would be an easy trip across the border - probably spend more time crossing the bridge or tunnel and waiting in line at customs than actual travel time.

Done that too! Delicious pizza! (Came from Detroit, though). We’d call in our order down bound on lake St. Clair. 

I sailed with one old timer, I swear he smuggled an entire automobile across the boarder, one part at a time. Took him a few seasons, but he managed.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy