Main and Fore Preventor Stay

Go to solution Solved by Morgan,

Posted (edited)

Newbie question here.

On my model build (see here) of Heller's 1/150 Le Superbe (but built to a British fashion), the front of the main and foremast top platforms have a line of small holes.   The image below says lines from these holes should connect with the fore and main preventor stays, but I do not see this feature on other models.  Maybe it was a French feature I can ignore in my captured HMS vessel?

Stays.jpg.8a99af45d3de709bf766c00a189c6e43.jpg

Edited by Admiral Beez

5 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

They are called Crows feet and were common on British ships also thro’ the 18th c.

The purpose was to stop the foot of the topsail getting fouled with the mast top.

Thanks.  I don’t see the crows feet on most Napoleonic era models.  Did HMS Victory ever have them?

• Solution
8 hours ago, Admiral Beez said:

Thanks.  I don’t see the crows feet on most Napoleonic era models.  Did HMS Victory ever have them?

There is circumstantial evidence that Victory carried crows feet at Trafalgar.

The painter Clarkson Stanfield when preparing his ‘Trafalgar’ painting produced a first draft for comment.  The commentators in question were Trafalgar veterans including Victory’s captain Hardy.  This initial draught showed no crows feet, but the final version included them. This obvious change suggests that this was a correction made on input from those veterans and points to a strong possibility of Victory having them fitted at Trafalgar.

Gary