James,

I think I understand why you want a big project that will take some time to build. A plank on frame model is a very big project with thousands of parts you must design and build, especially if you build to an uncommon scale where there are few, if any, pre-made parts available.

Maybe some here were suggesting you try something easier because in your first post you said you were "kind of new to ship building." Many modelers "bite off more than they can chew" on their first attempt and become discouraged and quit. So they advise newbies to start with something simple so they don't become frustrated and give up.

But in your latest posts you show that you aren't a beginner, and have a few builds under your belt. And you say you have the tools for scratch building. There is great satisfaction from working on a single large project for many years instead of a series of small builds, trying to build the one model to perfection. I spent 14 years making my CAD model of the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5, modeling everything down to rivets and screws as small as 3/16 inch (5 mm). Most of the time was spent obtaining data sheets and manuals for the equipment and missiles, and blueprints for the hull and superstructure. It gave me great satisfaction to build a model that had far greater detail and accuracy than most other models.

I encourage you to take on your great project, and take pride in every piece that you build. And I hope you post your progress here. There is great knowledge in the members of the Forum and we are all willing to help solve problems as they come up. It is a learning experience for all of us.

Phil

Current build: USS Cape MSI-2

Current build: Albatros topsail schooner

Previous build: USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 CAD model

Hi James,

FWIW David Antscherl and Greg Herberts books on building a Model of HMS Speedwell 1752 can be obtained from Seawatch Books. You have a choice to build at 1:48th scale a model in solid lift,plank on bulkhead or fully framed, the plans are excellent and fully detailed. There are several build logs of Chuck Passaro's kit of Speedwell at 1:32nd here on the forum in the kit build section,look at these to give you an idea of what's involved  with a POF build of a just a small ship. Chuck also has his original build in the scratch build section which is considerably further on than the kit builds.

My build of her at 1:48th is POB in Box and Pear which is almost finished after 5 1/2 years and is 85 cm long from Transom to jib boom tip,POF would have taken me much longer. You could of course easily have the plans enlarged,bear in mind if you doubled up you would have a model 1.7 metres long from Transom to Bowsprit tip :D Thats about the size of a 3 decked first rate at 1:48th with a damned sight less work involved.

Anyway I wish you luck in your quest.

Dave :dancetl6:

Edited by davyboy

James,

Artesania Latina just released a kit of the Victory with a full interior:

https://artesanialatina.net/en/ships-elite/62518-wooden-ship-model-anatomy-of-english-vessel-hms-victory-1-84-8421426204032.html

It looks like it would build to about 4 feet long.

That would be an excellent introduction to building a first-rate with a complete interior.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)