I'm trying out  different applications to see what comes close to a looking like a sea worn deck. I'm posting a picture with some different samples and would appreciate some feed back as to  the colors. If none of these come close to the right look , it's back to the drawing board. All suggestions are welcome!! :o I have to say this, all the colors are more to the gray side ....... the lighting kind've shows  a little different

but it's very close .

Thanks

Frank

post-73-0-59663300-1381807842_thumb.jpg

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank ---- is this for your Supply?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Brian, the sample wood is limewood ( our basswood ). I'm not familiar with holly, but when it comes time to do the decking on my next build

I will certainly look into it.  Right now I'm just trying some different finishes.  Would the holly take a better finish ?

Frank

No Augie, it's not for the Supply. I'm just trying to come up with a more suitable looking deck color for my next build. I'm not that pleased with the color of the decking on the Supply, but it's way too late to change it now. :(

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

OK.  I was wondering how you would work around all the deck furnishings.  I know you have a dapper new crew but wow, that would have been something!

Just a comment on holly.  Check Rafine's Fair America.  I'm sure he used holly on the deck and it's gorgeous.  And I think Rusty J used it on the lower hull on his scratch Confed.  Also beautiful.  But it is VERY light to begin with....almost white.  You might PM one of them to ask how it takes a finish.

So this is for a new project.  I assume you're thinking of another battle tested, salty old gal.  After looking closely at your photos, I lean toward 'B' with 'E' a close second.  But it's very subjective.  I think 'F' is just too gray and uneven (I like a certain symmetry).  Great idea making the mock ups Frank.  Just keep in mind how it will look on a larger area.  Remember how neat that Avocado paint chip looked back in '66.....BEFORE you painted the living room.

Thanks for asking... but you're the Captain (um.......Lt. Commander)  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

D or E for me. Maby a little bit more towards the D i think. But that's just my two cents, As Augie wrote F is too gray. Just on the subject of finishes I hope that you can remove that sample paper off the wall without tearing the wallpaper!!!! :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks everyone for your input......... my choice was  B or E also........... although F looks a little darker than B on the picture, in reality it's very close in color, D is the lightest color. B is Micro Mark's Age it Easy  Grey, matt varnish, driftwood wash.... E is Weather It, matt varnish,

F is Weather It, matt varnish. driftwood wash, and D is Micro Mark's Age It Easy grey/brown, matt varnish. Too bad the picture samples don't show their true color, B and F are the two that look real close to the real colors. Before I do my next deck I'm going to make sure I  have enough stock to make up a  mock deck  to show the finish, I don't want any avocado walls staring me in the face!! :P 

Frank 

USRC "ALERT"

Nice! Spyglass, thanks a lot for the pictures, they'll be very helpful!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Ah, we're sympatico.  Must be an Italian thing :D  :D :D  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

If you are asking about a working ship go grey, if you are asking about a Naval Vessel then the 4th board down on exhibit "A" is what you want for a Commissioned Warship. Those ships had lots of people to keep busy, tired and out of trouble. Captains would use the condition of  their decks to impress and perhaps aid advancement.

I rode a Heavy Cruiser for about 3 years that had a Teak deck over the steel deck. It was kept almost white from scrubbing every morning early, again if the snipes blew tubes and sooted everything up, with soap and seawater. Salt water acts as a bleach the reason we would put our white hats on a line and throw them overboard from the stern, made them soft and white by dragging them along in the wake.

Once a week the decks were holy stoned using a soap, boiler compound and scouring powder concoction mixed up the day before by the Boatswain's Mates and of course then rinsed off with seawater.

While holy stoning a chant was used to keep the line of Sailors in sink and on the same board. One a rock, two a rock continued until the desired strokes were made and the, shift a board would cause just that and the count would start over. The holy stones used were fire brick size, broken in two and a dimple chipped into it for the end of an old swab handle.  The swab handle went under the right armpit and held with the right hand, the left hand was used on the forearm of the right for control and power. Always holy stoned with the grain, drawings I have seen showing a large stone manipulated by a sailor on his knees I have considered a bit doubtful it was ever done that way, a punishment perhaps.

The Troller I rode to Alaska on and fished the summer had a work worn grey deck as did most of the wooden decks of working or laid up decks that that weren't painted that I have seen. Warship with a large numbers of men to keep busy, probably meant well swept, swabbed, bleached and  holy stoned. decks.

jud.

Edited by jud

Thank you Jud for such an informative response. Makes me real happy :D  that I wasn't one of those guys on a Warship .

My next build is going to be the naval cutter Alert. Grey or holly stoned ??

Frank

Augie ... "Great minds think alike"... but since I don't have a great mind, it's gotta be the Italian thing. :P  :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Makes us even :D  :D

The Alert is it.  Can't wait.  I LOVE cutters!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...