I have purchased some very promising jewelry chain from my local MIchaels craft store.  Size and shape are excellent but the finish is a bright "silver".  I have no idea what the chain is made of but desire to change its color to something more "realistic" for boat model work.  Ideas?

I am sure the chain has been treated with some kind of polymer. Other than painting, I don't think you can 'blacken' it or give it a treatment without first removing the coating.

The suppliers of modeling supplies is also an excellent source for chain in a variety of sizes and shapes.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I recently purchased some chain from Michael's and discovered that it is steel, so you can heat it to a red and it will burn off the finish, I was doing some tests with the small eyes and jump rings and after they had been heated red the finish was gone.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Eureka .... we are on to something!  I first checked my chain with a magnet and got no reaction.  Then I heated it with my torch and was pleased to see the "silver" changing to dark grays and black.  When I buffed it with a cloth I saw "copper".  Now I will search for a way to color any copper that shows thru those grays!

Thanks for your help!