Should all spars be aligned in the same direction?

Modeler12

The reason I ask is that I am adding topsails to my model and it will be on a starboard tack. That means that not only the topsail jacks but also the course jacks will be aligned at an angle. That is necessary because the topsail sheet goes through a sheave on the course jack. Besides, I think it would look strange not to have both follow in the same direction.

But what about the topgallant and royal spars? They will not be furled (too many lines already). Would they be just kept straight or also angled???

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I think all yards on one mast would be braced the same way. In fact some lines would be belayed on the same pin, so they would need to be cast loose at the same time. Also, taking in or setting sails would depend on the wind etc. and one would not want to waste time to brace the yards.

Also note that yards are not braced up to the same degree, there is a certain 'twist' in them, i.e. lower yards are braced up tighter than upper ones. This has to do with the wind velocity distribution over the height profile - due to the friction over the water, the wind velocity is lower near the water; therefore, the apparent wind comes more from the front closer to the water.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Congratulations on your decision to depict your ship with yards braced around. It is so uncommon to see ship models depicted this way, even with all sail set! But this was how they would most often have been rigged while at sea and in my opinion it looks better on a model than yards squared as if for a formal inspection.

Niagara USS Constitution 

From experience of the ships I've sailed in, all the yards on a mast were usually braced in the same direction – whether they had sails set on them or not. 

The yards on a mast are all connected, by sheets through the yardarms below, downhauls etc. So even if the furled yards weren't moved, you'd still have to ease off some of the rigging to enable the others to be braced, or risk strain and perhaps damage.

In addition to Welfack's description of the twist of the yards, bracing those with furled sails also reduces wind resistance, especially in strong winds.

I agree, it's nice to see a models with the yards braced.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Just a thought but, for instance, if top gallant and/or royals were going to be furled, the yards might be braced up to take the wind (load) off the sails and thusly be easier for the top men to furl the sails. I don't how the yards would be braced after the sails were furled.

An interesting topic.

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

There are some contemporary drawings and paintings that show different angles at special occasions, especially in the early days:

Resolution Willem van der Velde (younger)

505px-Van_de_Velde%2C_Resolution_in_a_Ga

Cannon shot by van der Velde

511px-Cannon_shot_by_Velde.jpg

Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

The lower picture shows the sails set for drying while the ship is at anchor. They were draped sort of random on purpose so as not to push the ship in an uniform direction.

BTW, in harbour, when moored to the quai, ship often tipped the yards so that arm facing out to the harbour almost touched the rails. This reduced the risk that another ship that came adrift or didn't calculate the distance right sheered off the yards.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

I was curious about this but, unfortunately, I posted my question after I had already braced the upper yards.

Again, the royal and topgallant sails will not be furled nor rigged (other than the halyards and braces) so I gave it no thought at the time.

Then, when I started to add the topsails did it occur to me that the upper spars should align the same way.

If the wind comes from about three o'clock, the wind shear and resistance should not matter too much, but having the spars facing the same way would, indeed, make the whole picture look better. So be it.

I might add that the way I am rigging is from the top on down (good or bad, it works for me thus far, except for this foo-foo).

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .