airbrushing acrylic over a painted surface.

Hi all,

I will be airbrushing white acrylic over a previously painted wood surface. That surface is carved with a very complex pattern so I do not want to try and sand it.

What would I used to clean that surface to prepare it for airbrushing?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

If you can, mild dish soap and water, well rinsed off afterwards. Otherwise, Windex should also work well.

Are you looking to cover the old paint, or remove it?

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Richard:

As long as the underlying paint is clean and not a gloss finish the acrylic should adhere just fine.  Clean as Andy suggested and lay on very light coats of the acrylic until complete coverage is achieved. 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi,

I appreciate your taking time out because this is not a ship question but for a project my wife requested. She has been so great about supporting my new hobby that I really want it to look nice.

Below is picture of the frame to be painted. I am airbrushing to make sure it has a nice finish especially in the all the nooks and crannies. Also, because of the complex shapes I do not want to get into removing the old paint, just spray over it. I have a large bottle of white airbrush acrylic so should have enough paint.

post-4218-0-03921900-1386192671_thumb.jpg

I appreciate your advice.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

Richard:

The advice I gave originally would apply to this as well as anything ship related.  The better the underlying surface is cleaned and any gloss removed, the better the acrylic will adhere.  Maybe a very fine wire brush can be used to get into the nooks - it has to be very fine as you don't want to have to sand the surface.  I have some fine wire brushes that I think came from a jeweler supply but i think I saw some similar brushes from Model Expo or Micro Mark.  But if the surface is matte or dull  now this probably isn't needed.  Can't tell from the photo if the highlights are just from the light or due to having a gloss surface but I suspect the lights.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It looks matte not glossy. I will try cleaning the wood as suggested then painting one section to see how it comes out.

Thanks

Richard

Richard

Please, I am not suggesting another way, per sec, but what about gold foil?

Your frame looks like it is (perhaps) an antique and might be better off with the same gold finish, rather than painting.

Take a look at this http://www.thecreativityexchange.com/2013/02/transform-old-framesfurniture-with-spray-paint-and-gold-leaf-diy.html

Good luck either way.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

thanks for the thought. I doubt this is an antique. Either way, my wife's vision of this is with a white frame so white it will be.

I appreciate your input.

Richard

Richard

If it has to be white then … I would rather use a soft brush, at least for the first layer or two, to ensure that the paint gets into all those hollows. By definition, the paint from an airbrush flies on a more or less straight trajectory, so any obstacle in its way will mask the area behind; therefore, it may be difficult to spray-paint such sculpted surface adequately.

To improve adherence you can paint it (after cleaning, of course) with a layer of pure acrylic (available in artists' supply shops), i.e. acrylic without any pigment.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg