HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

Nice talking with you today, Glenn.  Skype is a terrific bit of technology, isn't it?  Nice job on the coils, by the way.  Hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Glenn

Thanks for the post. It's a bit boring at the moment as you can prob tell. I need to be further on before I start to enjoy it more. I think it's something to do with finishing the victory. To be honest I have another ship already started as you might know, and have just brought it back into the shipyard. The Admiral thinks I should start to build it along side the RC. It's the mantua victory!!! What I was going to ask is how are you fitting the buckets???? DAVID

The deck work seems never-ending. I should have followed Gil's build method for the fire buckets with a strip as you suggested. But, as Frank said, I did it my way. I hope to have all the deck work done within the next week or two. It's a Morrison's Big Breakfast as its only a 5 minute drive, a nice treat as I follow a srtict diet during the week so I can eat what I please on Saturdays. This has resulted in a 3 stone weight loss.

Glenn (UK)

I'm toying with the idea of buying HMS Pegasus from victory models as a side project, one where I can take my time to fill in time when stuck on some of the repeativite tasks. I'm also reconsidering doing another Caldercraft Victory build once I have completed my current build trying to reduce many of my build errors second time around. I say go for it David

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn

Don't rush into buying the pegasus , I have the the kit, and it was my next project after the victory, until the admiral decided she wanted a galleon making . And choose the royal yacht caroline. So it is well possible I will not build the pegasus. I should really finish the other victory which as you know has been started. So hold fire on the pegasus. DAVID

post-96-0-88291500-1422663495_thumb.jpg

Finally completed fitting the fire buckets.I did come up with an alternative build method after I had rigged 15 of the buckets which would have resulted in a much more uniform build, but decided I would leave as is. They are not straight, neat or tidy looking, but when the ship is fully rigged it will not be too noticable, well thats the theory.

I may add a brass profile strip under the fire buckets after looking at pictures of the real ship.

post-7550-0-96117700-1422825768_thumb.jpg

Deck hands need to clean under the poop deck.

post-7550-0-22905100-1422825791_thumb.jpg

Can you spot the mistake I made with the cannon rigging. I only noticed this afternoon!

Next task is to fit the side entry port and steps, which will take a 2 or 3 day to complete as the entry port castings requires some detailed painting. The actual casting were not that good a quality but will look ok when painted and fitted to hull. I have already added the black background colour, and will add the other colours over the next 2 or 3 days. It will probably take a nights work to remove the steps from the walnut sheet and file off the rough edges.

post-7550-0-66115200-1422825809_thumb.jpg

The next big task after that will be the assembly and rigging of the gun port lids. I'm not sure if I should pre drill the gun ports first in readiness for fitting the cannons (which will be fitted later on) before I fix the gun port lids

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

Beautiful work on the fire buckets.  I don't believe that the buckets would be perfectly straight as the ship's movement would certainly cause them to wiggle a bit, don't you think?

If I were you I would definitely drill the cannon holes as you may find it difficult to do once the lids are set.  No sense taking a chance in knocking off a lid with your drill.  I drilled mine as I'm suggesting to you and it made my life a lot easier.

Just my opinion.

Hope you've had a great weekend...and now it's off to the Super Bowl.

Best,

Jerry

I had a real treat yesterday as I paid Shipyard Sid a visit, a really nice and very helpful man as is his good friend Glenn who I had the pleasure meeting yesterday as well.

His completed Victory build is very impressive and all I can say is WOW.

This picture doesn't do it justice.

post-7550-0-97678600-1423082074_thumb.jpg

Anyway back to shipyard tonight and the first side enrty port and steps have now been installed.

Same again tomorrow night on the other side.

post-7550-0-73390300-1423082104_thumb.jpg

Trying to show some of the detailed painting of the entry port.

post-7550-0-57718000-1423083200_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-63382400-1423083220_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-10016200-1423083251_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

Real nice work; the steps look simple but I'll bet they gave you a bit of a tizzy as you figured out the correct spacing.  Looks like you're moving along to a very special model.  Best,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

I just put the steps where I thought look right using plan 5 as a reference and they all went OK. The hardest job was filing the steps once I released them from the walnut sheet. I lost count of how many times I dropped the small steps on the floor, but thankfully was able to find them again.

Glenn (UK)

I hope you keep a magnifying glass nearby...I lost several small parts  (deadeyes, blocks, eyelets, etc.  I finshed the Victory in November and my workplace has been cleaned several times since then and I still haven't found any of the dropped parts.  I also have a hand vacuum cleaner (dust buster) and sometimes I'll empty it before using it and then I'll clean the entire floor and empty the vacuum cleaner again....and I'm still missing some parts.  Sleep well....

Best,

Jerry

Work resumed on HMS Victory after my weekend break working on HMS Pegasus.

Feeders and Chesstrees have been fitted and painted.

post-7550-0-78537100-1423598036_thumb.jpg

Following my visit to Shipyard Sid last week I have taken his very sound advice with regards to dry fitting the channels in order to fit the brass profiles. I have also used Shipyard Sid's method of cutting a diagonal cut in the channel for the dead eye strops.

Brass Profiles

post-7550-0-29017500-1423598351_thumb.jpg

Channels Dry Fitted

post-7550-0-06419300-1423598443_thumb.jpg

Strops fitted with diagonal cut

post-7550-0-09625700-1423598479_thumb.jpg

Finally I have started work on painting the first set of gun port lids as I plan to complete the work on brass profiles, channels, chain plates and gun port lids in small sections, working from stern to bow.

post-7550-0-10685800-1423598499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...

Nice to see you back with Victory once more.  The strops  that you are working with are very tricky and besides seeing to it that they seat well in the notches of the channels make sure you are liberal with your cement.  Most builders to whom I hace spoken with (including me) have had a strop disengage from its place when tensioning the halyards.  David's method is an excellent one that I followed also.  Half Moon has an easier system but loses authenticity with its method.  Victory practically matches the real thing and hence its degree of difficulty.  You are looking good and I suppose you'll have a great deal more to show until you go back to pegusis on Saturday.  Best to you,

Jerry

Hello Jerry

The work on the channels is slow work, and yes I'm putting in plenty of CA as the strops are inserted. I may add some more before I fit the front cover strip as belt and braces.

No work planned tomorrow as I'm away from home and not expected to be back home until the in the early hours of the following morning.

Glenn (UK)

Greetings Glenn

It looks like things are going well, and sorted on your hull work. As you know this is we're I started to go wrong and got warned,have a look at my post on my log on March 15 2013. My ipads gone up the spout and I am struggling to send post on the phone. We'll done, keep up the good work. DAVID

And so the nightmare begins as I have installed the first three gun port lids.These three took much longer than I expected but much of the time was deciding on the best method that would work best for me following some very sound advise from Shipyard Sid and Jerry, thanks for your support.

The rigging on these is not the best but the second one is slightly better than the first. I hope / expect they will get better once I really get going with the installation.

I think I'm going to change my planned build sequence as I will now assembly all the gun port lids complete with hinges over the next few days and then fit to them to the hull in small batches as I fit the channels and chainplates.

post-7550-0-12276000-1424204148_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-30238200-1424204178_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Greetings Glenn

Lots to do as you say, so you should not get bored with the gun port lids. The lids themselves are very time consuming, two lots of painting , eyelets and hinges to fit, so it gets menotamus, but it's easy to take a break and do work on the the chains or channels. Then you are closing in on the sticks and loads of enjoyment, and loads of knots!!!!!!! Bet you can't wait. Keep enjoying it....DAVID

Thanks David, I finding it better to mix and match at the moment, some work on the lids, some work on the channel assemblies etc. I expect it will be a few weeks before I start thinking about masts and yards.

Hmmm, I might have to sling some sort of break up plan into my build. I've been painstakingly reading through other Victory build logs and the word "repetition" seems to come up a lot.

Looking good Glennard :)  

Work still progressing on gun port lid assembly, channel assembly and brass profiles (starboard side)

All channel strips (starboard side) have now been dry fitted, and I only have one channel left to install the dead eyes. I have about 15 more gun port lid assemblies to complete.

Picture showing brass profiles with channels dry fitted (using 0.7mm brass pins)

post-7550-0-11373700-1424981529_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-48411800-1424981716_thumb.jpg

I have been using the method suggested by Shipyard Sid for installing the dead eyes, that is to make a diagonal cut to secure the dead eye strop in place. Once I have completed all channels I will add a small amount of epoxy (belt and braces) before adding the 1.5mm capping

post-7550-0-30547000-1424981745_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn,

Just took a look at your progress and happy to see you are coming along vey nicely.  Steady for sure.  I imagine Pegisus is slowing you down with Victory but you'll end up with two for the price of one.  (well not exactly).  But you know what I mean.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Jerry

I lost two day this week with having to go away on business this week, but plan to finish the starboard channels tomorrow.

Once all this work is complete I'll have all to do again on the port side - Arggggg!

Not much time planned on Pegasus this weekend as I'm going to Manchester for the weekend

Glenn (UK)