Fly / Pegasus

Holty

Is their much difference in these kits? Other Than price? Fly looks like a workhorse and Pegasus more flashy. I'm tempted by both but can't make up my mind.I'm looking in to a second build and considering my level I may just go for lil pickle but interested to see people's thoughts.

Pegasus is essentially an upgraded Fly kit.  Most of the details that come standard in the Pegasus kit must be purchased separately for Fly, thus the difference in price.  Either will build into a very nice model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Dear Holty, I actually chose the Pegasus kit as my next build and the quality is tremendous. The difference between the Lady Nelson and Pegasus is vast in terms of wood and detailed parts. Either one will be a good choice but as Pegasus was made and designed just that bit later than Fly and is one of Amatis "new" kits, everything is just that bit better.

Best wishes, Bettina

Isn't the Fly coming with metal gun carriages, which make the addition of accurate gun rigguing almost impossible?  If so, that would for me be reason enough to choose for Pegasus.

JP

Note: the various build logs on this site are a tremendous opportunity to have a good insight into these two excellent kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went for Fly as I preferred the stern detail over Pegasus - much more 3 dimensional in my opinion. That said, I effectively upgraded to Pegasus through the upgrade kit. I further upgraded through Chris Watton by getting the Pegasus PE set - very reasonably priced but I don't think he is selling through his website anymore. The total cost was more than Pegasus but only just. My Fly will be a hybrid but I got everything that Pegasus has and two PE sets - makes mistakes easier to deal with! I did have to buy copper as another upgrade - slightly forced on me and an added expense that is avoided with the Pegasus kit. I guess in hindsight I'd go for Pegasus but I still prefer the Fly stern!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)