Brands?

Spiderpig

I am wanting to try out a variety of model ship brands. So far I've tried AL, Occre and Constructo. Occre was by far my favourite. What can people recommend to try out? Or what to avoid?

Cheers

Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

I'm building the USS Syren from Model Shipways ( so far the kit has been excellent. I wish some basswood pieces were replaced with a bit stronger wood and some of the Britannia castings aren't as clean as I'd like, but I'm a bit of a stickler for detail.

Price was reasonable, everything was there upon delivery and in good order, and the manual is outstanding. The seller ModelExpo also give a guarantee that if something is missing or breaks during build, they'll replace it free of charge with no postage costs. I've read in build logs that they even honor this commitment when people make mistakes themselves.

Edited by Marsares

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

It really depends on what you want.

Imo browse through all the manufacturers and make a list of the one you like the most from each. Then ask again about them for opinions and details.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Thanks for the help. I will come up with a list of potential kits I'm interested in. I have been eyeing off the Syren. It looks like a beautiful kit. Wasn't it designed by Chuck? A guy who partly runs this site?

Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

Thanks for the help. I will come up with a list of potential kits I'm interested in. I have been eyeing off the Syren. It looks like a beautiful kit. Wasn't it designed by Chuck? A guy who partly runs this site?

Adam

Yes, he is and he's keeping a keen eye on every single Syren build log and is always happy to provide advice and guidance. The manual is also very very good. As a first time ship builder it has steered me through the process so far without any issues. There are also a plethora of Syren build logs out there, so there's always somebody at hand to help you. Chuck designed a few other models as well, such as the Confederacy.

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

Yeah I looked up his other models. They seem to be some great projects. My list would be as follows.

Caldercraft - Cruiser

Model Shipways - Syren or Confederacy

Corel - Mirage, Neptune, Victory or Galeone Vaneta

Euromodels - Cocca Anseatica

And Al's or Occres King of the Mississippi.

Mare Nostrum

Spiderpig how much experirnce do you have modeling?  The kits you put down are all nice but you should try something a little easier first.  I have found many nice kits over the years cheap because the owner bit off more than he could chew.

David B

Hi David

I am currently working on my 3rd and 4th ship. the HMS Prince and made Nostrum. I'm finding the Mare a little too easy now, and the Prince is nice and challenging. I was steering towards the USF Confederacy by MSW. It looks like a lovely ship, challenging, and without the headache of masts and rigging. I'd like to have a break from that part of the build if possible.

Cheers

Adam

Mare Nostrum