Proxxon vise

Hey guys - I  just took a chance and ordered this Proxxon vise. It seemed a little better made than some. A few bucks more - I hope it's worth it. Anybody used one?   Do you like it?   I needed something for the Pinky build I'm working on now.

I'll of course let you all know my impressions once I get it and try it out.

Tim

post-10565-0-33110000-1395615542_thumb.jpg

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

Tim,

I have one, however mine has the suction pad base. Very useful vice. You will like it, especially when you need to put your ship in "unusual attitudes" very secure product. Also a big plus are the rubber jaw guards. Thumbs up !

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael. Good to know.  B)

I chose this base over the suction base. You can take the clamp off and bolt it down also, if you wish. I'm thinking I'll bolt it to a hefty working board and use it that way. Does your suction base work OK for you? Those kind of things never seem to hold for me reliably. I was worried about it coming loose at an unopportune time.  :(

Tim

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

I have a 5" vice that I mounted on the end of a 1" X 12" X 3' pine board some time ago,  very handy and other than weighing about 50# is easy to move around. If I need it solid, I use C Clamps to anchor the board. I would expect good results if you mount your new vice on a board, If you need it more solid, well there are always C Clamps.

jud

PS: If wondering why I mounted mine on the end of the board, it was so I could swing the jaws out and be clear of the board if I needed to clamps something vertically. I did not narrow the board on the vice end that would be an improvement for some things but leaving the board full width helps stabilize the thing when not clamped down.

Thanks Michael. Good to know.  B)

I chose this base over the suction base. You can take the clamp off and bolt it down also, if you wish. I'm thinking I'll bolt it to a hefty working board and use it that way. Does your suction base work OK for you? Those kind of things never seem to hold for me reliably. I was worried about it coming loose at an unopportune time.  :(

Tim,

Yes it does work very well, but only after one accident in which the ship fell when the suction pad gave way, and ended on its side still attached to the vice.

I have since purchased a piece of glass approx 10x10x 1/4" (beveled edges). I super clean the rubber suction base of any dust or other bits, and clean off the glass. Now the base is alway firmly in place and stays secure. The glass allows me to move the vice around a pit more. But space was my big issue. I have no room in which to permanently attach it where it would be useful, so suction was a perfect solution.

PS: YES the rubber pad is removable and there are screw slots at each of the triangle ends for bolting. I think that it also came with three bolts for that purpose.

MIchael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I have a suction cup vice that worked well only for 10 or so minutes then it would loosen. So now I have it mounted onto a board. If I was to buy another i would do away with suction cups altogether.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

My vise arrived today and I am impressed!  This thing is really built well. I like that when you open it up the jaws do not flop around at all. Very precise feeling. The only thing I could complain about was the screw that goes in the bottom of the ball was not in place from the factory. Of course all I have to do is tighten the screw and that's good to go. A little grease on the clamp screw and ball and socket, and she'll be good to go. I got the clamp on / or screw down base. I have no trust in suction cup thingies. I'm very pleased with this purchase. B)  Thanks for the replies, guys.

Tim

Tim

One last addition here for the benefit of future modelers searching for info on this vise - I made up some extended jaws for the vise. They take the place of the metal jaws. They came out at around 9-1/2" long - just happened to be the size stock I had work with at the time. Now there is a much wider grip on the keel. A couple pics:

13489221885_2d0525f554_c.jpg

13489210665_4964d26e4f_c.jpg

Tim

Tim, in reference to your 2nd picture above: When the ball is in that position, can it freely rotate? In other words, in that picture could you rotate the ball so that your ship and vice jaws are vertical? My current vice's ball "locks in" at that position, and thus I can't rotate the vice to other angles, which is often not helpful!

Thanks for the great review and your input!

Cheers,

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

Hi Timo,

I also got this very useful tool and did it use for the build of my Half Moon most all the time. I am very Content with it and say: For about 25 Euros you will NOT get any better than this. Multifunctional, secure, reliable - more you dont Need. I only can reecommend it.

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-65474500-1396112760_thumb.jpg

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Tim, in reference to your 2nd picture above: When the ball is in that position, can it freely rotate? In other words, in that picture could you rotate the ball so that your ship and vice jaws are vertical? My current vice's ball "locks in" at that position, and thus I can't rotate the vice to other angles, which is often not helpful!

Thanks for the great review and your input!

Cheers,

Jay

Jay,

You can rotate it a full 360 degrees, and lock it in any position in between in that horizontal position. 

To add to Max's comment - i forgot to say the vise is made in Germany. Seems it's always quality stuff coming out of Germany.  :)

Tim

Hi Jay

you are doing right to buy it - its like the third hand the Lord forgot to give to us :) I did not regret the spending for this tool

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

One more suggestion, Jay

Consider this clamp on / bolt down type. It doesn't sound like the suction cup base type can be trusted to hold from what others have said. I guess that one can also be bolted down if you wish...

I originally thought I would be bolting mine down to a working board, but since I'm still working on the kitchen table this clamp on job is perfect for now.  :)

Tim

Tim