Contour duplicator

Has anyone ever used (what is known here in the states as) a contour duplicator to reproduce the shape of a hull or part thereof? I awoke this morning to remember I have one of these tools (which I'll take a picture of later and post) and thought it might work really well to transfer the curvature of the hull to a flat board where dowels could be inserted, making a nice drying jig for planks. If there's been any experience with this device (which is as simple as hundreds of sliding pins that are pushed or pulled out so they just touch the surface of what they're duplicating) I'd love to hear about it before I spend the time to make it all work (or not which might happen).

I have seen them used to get the hull curvature of the bottom to make cradles. I bought one for that purpose but have not used it yet. If it was big enough it should work for getting the curve to bend the planks too.

Have one about 8" long that I bought years ago and occasionally use it when laying out cut lines on steel for uneven cut and fit lines when fabricating something, works good for that but the pins on the one I have may be a little stiff to use on a model.

jud

I made a "jig" with plastic coated nails that conformed with my hull shape. It worked pretty well. I fine tuned the bends by wet clamping the planks to the exact spot on the hull that they went. I'd like to see a picture of yours, though.

Rich

As regards the stiff pins....mine is brand new, never used. So I am hoping the pins will loosen up somewhat. I used some metal lube on it and that worked to loosen them but not enough to make the tool really easy to use. I have to run right now and my wife has the camera. I'll put up the pics later today. My plank bending jig is still all in my mind. When I do it I will post a picture. Whether I use the tool or some other method of transferring the curve shape, I can't think of a better way to do a jig than the dowels or nails in a homemade pegboard.

After I posted this pic I knew someone would comment. It looks a lot worse than it really is. What looks like blood is only nail polish...I was looking for a color to "paint" some buckets on Bounty and I thought nail polish would adhere to the slick surface. I looked in my wife's cabinet and found 20 colors. I wanted to test this one but had nothing to test it on (she would not have appreciated me using the countertop for this) so I used my finger nail. As for the scar down the center of the thumb. That came from a dog bite 50 years ago. Never does grow in normal.

You got me. I didn't want to seem too macho so I made up both stories. I actually banged it up bad when I was trying to save a woman's life as a car she was changing a tire on slipped off the jack and pinned her down. I came along and being the he-man I am, I lifted the car up from the bare wheel hub. Just when she wiggled free I lost it and the car fell on my thumb. So now you all know the truth.

Captain Al,

That has got to be the truth.

NO ONE could make up a tale like that and tell it with a straight face.

Ted

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

On the ways:   HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina

Launched:       Scottish Maid - Artesania Latina

On the Shelf:   Minature lifeboat - Model Shipways

Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Emma C.Berry - Model Shipways