Billings Danish training ship Danmark kit (review)

mtdoramike

I bought the Billings Danish Training ship Danmark kit off of Ebay for $99.00 a while back. I built the Danmark, which took me about 1200 hours give or take an hour or three. It was a wonderful kit and I would not hesitate to buy it and build it again even at a higher price. The fittings package came with the kit and quite extensive. I can't recall a single issue with the build. The plans are quite good and left little to the imagination. I can't really speak for the directions, because I don't usually use them. The kit came with pre-printed sail material as well.

Here are a few photos of the kit as it arrived to me. 

All in all, it was a pleasure to build, yes, they do use quite a few plastic parts, but if you like to kit bash, that isn't an issue. Now, this kit is an advanced level kit, but with a little help, a novice shouldn't have any real issue with it. 

The finished model is currently sitting in the lobby of a Danish West Indies trading company in Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

post-13395-0-29799300-1402437105_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-81240400-1402437118_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-51466300-1402437128_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-43976000-1402437139_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-49211300-1402484208_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-35842000-1402484216_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

Hi Mike,

Beautiful model!! I have an old Billing Danmark as well which I am now more anxious to build, having seen yours. Like you, I depend on the drawings to guide me through the project. Mr. Billing is short on instructions, which is fine. After all a picture is worth two in the bush, as the saying goes...

Thanks for the photos and inspiration.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!