Hi,

So I started working on the Sakonnet Daysailer this weekend. While glueing the side plank, near the transom, I used my hand to hold it in place and broke a piece of the chine off. Not sure how to go about repairing. Should I replace the entire chine, cut out that section (from last keel frame to transom)and add a new piece, or just fill in the missing section?

Thanks.

Phil

post-14145-0-60271100-1405479817_thumb.jpg

Phil...

These things happen, I actually snapped a chine on my Sharpie Schooner that I'm currently working on but not fully through.  I attempted to glue it but found that it doesn't keep a smooth bend.  However, my snap happened at the most extreme part of the hull curve.  Since yours is so close to the transom where it's fairly straight, you might be able to get away with gluing the broken section back in place and adding a reinforcing piece on top.  If you used PVA glue (white glue), then rubbing alcohol and gentle nudging will separate the pieces fairly cleanly if you decide to remake/replace the entire part. 

Hope that helps.

Josh

Phil:
In the long run, replacing the entire piece is going to better. I know there is the sense that you can repair it with some reinforcement and that might work, but the best way to handle something like this is to just replace the piece and make sure its right. It makes a better job and you will have the peace of mind knowing that it is solid in there.

Russ

I agree with Russ, but my decision tree in these cases always starts with the question, "Will you do greater damage by trying to fix it?"  Looks like you've already done a lot of work on the starboard side if I'm seeing the picture correctly so you might be better off to try Josh's very logical approach.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Thanks for the tips and advice.

I ended up using the piece that broke off for the repair. The problem -I'm having- is with applying these over-sized planks. The rubberbands were working well until I heard a snap. Luckily the plank snapped above the deck. The other side plank went well till my repair piece broke off during clamping. I let the plank set then slid a piece of leftover chine through the transom chine slot as a final repair.

It's all a bit frustrating but a good learning experience, overall.

Hopefully I'll be able to log this build and have a good, finished product to present.

Again , thanks.

Phil