Swift 1805 by PopJack - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Virginia Pilot Boat - Older version

Another masterpiece. I hate to see you finish, its so anti-climatic...and you make me feel slow, but thats ok as I am :)

I love that you went your own way, meaning she's not the picture on the box. She has personality and character, just like her builder. I've enjoyed the friendship we've developed due to our mutual kit build, even though we went 2 completely different directions. Neither being superior to the other, just different visions. The sail billow turned out beautiful, which is important if you want  to make it look real, which has been a key part of your build. The off level mounting also adds to this and I really like the rock as a mounting method. If Im remembering correctly you used the same on your Mare Nostrum build. BTW, I tried finding her and can't find her, was that log lost on the MSW1 crash?

If I recall, this one was built for your brother? He should be so happy to receive such a work of love. So is it the bluenose next?... if I'm remembering correctly you had mentioned that, but I don't trust memory much anymore.

Congratulations on a Job done well.

Themadchemist: Thanks so much for the praise.  The boat has been a lot of fun and I too have enjoyed comparing our nearly opposite approaches to it.  Your approach has taken more time and will result in a very unique work of art- I consider my boat for "workman like."  I will continue to follow your work, as I find a lot of inspiration and I learn a lot.

Your memory is flawless.  This boat will be a gift to my brother on the occasion of his wedding.  I am writing an allegory comparing marriage to owning a wooden boat.  Its not as much of a stretch as you might think at first blush.  I have a Bluenose and a Syren in a box.  I am thinking the Bluenose will be next. 

You  are correct in that my build of the Mare Nostrum was lost.  I didn't think there was enough information there to justify trying to rebuild the log.  There is a photo of the rock mounting here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1725-mounting-on-rock/#

I'm beginning to think I have a thing for rocks!  Seriously, they appealed to me on these two builds.  I bought some slate the other day and put on a shelf....   If I stay with these more "informal" style mountings, I know what it will be used for.

The mounting look great for such a fine ship.  Good job, congratulations.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

PopJack,

Congratulations! Excellent build. I really like the mount using the rock! You can now display her with pride!!

Okay on to the next one! :D

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job! I love your creativity by mounting it on a rock base. Also, you filled the sails and put her on a port tack listing hard to starboard. Nice touch. Take a look at my build (Virginia Pilot Boat 1805 by Hipexec)

Thank you for your kind comments.  I was looking at the photos and may try and take some more- the effect of the mounting is actually better than what I see when I look at the photo.

The other night my adult son was visiting and gave me the ultimate compliment.  "Wow," he says,"it makes me want to get my sail boat out and get in the water- I love to sail when the boat feels like you've got it mounted."