Cutty Sark by petervisser - Billing Boats - Scale 1:75

Just thought some of you might find this light assembly useful. Even though I have a double flourescent light above my work bench, I was still finding too many shadows obscuring my work. Therefore I bought a pair of light stands and LED portable work lights. I have set up the lights on either side of me and above the work area. The stands are telescopic and swivel so I can adjust the aim. The light is 3500 lumens, so now I see EVERYTHING!

Cheers,

Peter

IMG_2655.JPG.ec65bddf67ba815a9d16f27869b79859.JPG

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Peter, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours. The Sark is looking wonderful. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have commenced the running rigging at last, starting with the three sets of lifts for the 3 yards mounted on the lower masts. Baby steps... And what with runing the rigging to the spider bands at the bases of the masts, meant coiling down the ends of those lines. In the past, I used to leave enough thread after running the line through its various blocks and tackles and coiling the surplus several times around the belaying pin. However, with greater efficiency and less toil in mind I decided to put Tom Lauria's method into practice. He coils the lines off the model and places the coils on the pins. It is a more accurate depiction of how lines are coiled onto pins at the expense of having two lines make up each individual rope. Here's a link to his video:

I did make a couple of modifications to his technique so as the loop around the pin didn't come undone and used diluted white glue to set the coils up permanently. Here are a few pic's of my efforts:

IMG_2656.JPG.285bba3a7fd065e3f5c2db59bc7ffd54.JPG

Here I used a scrap piece of cedar strip as the pins were more easily pushed into it.

IMG_2663.JPG.0dabbe05970e0a1d797d43f117ce4733.JPG

Here are the coils around the pins with an additional pin set back from the top edge of the cedar strip. This allowed for a bigger bight to pull under and into the coil of rope.

IMG_2665.JPG.048574441464ecf4613d9bdd8aed16c4.JPG

Here I used actual belaying pins to thread the bight as it made it easier to place the coils onto the model. As mentioned I used diluted white glue to set up the coils and allowed for longer tails so the bight did not become unstuck.

IMG_2666.JPG.dfe23c61ea158e44e26aa0de4d3354e4.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG.3151845ae0b01dff573e5151dcf5d86c.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG.d9872b94faa45fa276242db3769bae1c.JPG

And here are the results of the lifts' rigging onto their respective belaying points. It took a bit of trial and error to come up with a successful method but I am hoping it will alleviate some of the hassle in this repetitive task. Cheers

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!