Sorry this has been a bit delayed. I've been working on it intermittently since I received it at the beginning of march, but have only just got round to starting the log. I have been taking pictures along the way though.
I've had some tricky moments as I've not really been sure exactly how to fix things, or how to keep them secure whilst the glue dried. But I've just got on with it rather than getting stressed.
So I've decided to name her HMS Pilot, based on the rather successful Cruizer class brig of the same name.
And here's the log!
So first I had to straighten the keel as it had a slight twist in it. It took several attempts of soaking and compressing to get it to a comfortable shape.
Then came the dry fit and following gluing of the bulkheads which went well, not much shaping was required here to make everything fit nice and flush. (Excuse the mess! I was relegated to a tiny corner of the kitchen table for a while!)
Once dry, I began the fairing. Took a while to get the grasp of what I was actually doing - but as soon as the 'feel' of the ship's lines came to me it came along well.
And here she lie! All faired up as good as I could tell with my novice eyes, but I was happy with my work and enjoyed getting her to this point.
Now I work very odd shifts and regularly change between night and day shifts at random. So the only real time I get to sit down and have a crack at the Pilot is when it's late at night and I'm adjusting my body clock. Which means I spend a good 4 hours looking at what on earth to do next!
Here she is with the deck laid down. I've measured and marked the deck in preparation for deck planning as I've seen recommended on the forums.
Here I am shaping the soaked bullwarks prior to glue. Another tip read on here. (Unfortunately I only had small bulldog clips which weren't all that great for the task. I've discovered that clothes pegs do a far superior job!)
Easter hiatus featuring a treasure hunt for my daughter.
And here she is as of this afternoon. I had a nightmare with the bullwarks which I put down to poor fairing on the pegs. I also had a little accident trying to pin them in place which snapped a peg (you can see it missing above) and snapped the bullwark. However I just cracked on and did what I could. Used clothes pegs for the gluing and started to lose the plot on the bow where I just couldn't get the pressure or purchase with the pegs. Until my 2year old daughter suggested I use string....
The little genius.
That's where I've got up to so far. I've had great fun getting to this point and I'm really looking forward to the challenge of planking the hull which will commence in the next few days.