Jump to content

Brian Falke

Members
  • Content Count

    31
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Brian Falke

  1. My next steps were to plank the main and 01 level weather decks. After completing the weather decks, I then tackled the hull. For all this I used 1/32 thick basswood where I cut the planks to 1/16 wide. That made them, by scale, 6" wide which is a little wider than reality. In reality, the decking is only about 2" wide with about a 1/4" space between them for oakum and rubber sealant. The hull planks were about 6" in reality, so 1/16 wide was to scale. Another lesson learned here. These can be purchased, the planks. Cutting from a 1/32 sheet of basswood did cause me difficulties later
  2. Yes Roger, remember standing many hours on the deck and the unique engine orders. And trust me, you were not the only OOD that had difficulties on watch. I was the MCM Evaluator when we lost the minehunting sonar in the middle of a live minefield during the Persian Gulf war. These were difficult ships. Thanks all for the notes and likes! My next step was to install the exterior main and 01 level sub-decks. Using the booklet plans I was able to directly trace out the decks, no adjustments for scale differences. I used basswood as the decking. In addition
  3. In a couple of the views, you will notice a notch out section on the main deck forward of the fantail. That space is for the magnetic cable reel. My intention at the time was to leave the aft door to the mag cable reel open so that the reel could be seen. This was how we steamed around and in port. That door was always open. My intention was to build the model as I remember the ship, its uniqueness. The notch amidships is for the mast
  4. With plans and material (decided on basswood), I next had to determine whether to build the hull from a solid piece or plank-on-frame. As a youngster my whittling skills were poor to be kind, and I am sure they did not improve over the years. I do have a background in construction, and the plank-on-frame seemed to suit me best. The Booklet of General Plans is 1/8 = 1'0" scale (1:96) so I could compare the keel and frames directly to the drawings. I used 1/8" bass wood for the keel and frames. Here is how it turned out:
  5. Ok, where to start? First my motivation and why such an obscure ship. This was my first sea assignment right after commissioning from the Naval Academy. I spent two combined years on ENGAGE and IMPERVIOUS. The entire crew transferred from ENGAGE to IMPERVIOUS for Desert Storm. Being the first (you never forget your first 😉 ), ENGAGE holds a special place in my heart. It was a tough ship to be on, the crew truly lived up to the mantra "Wooden Ships, Iron Men". The ships hull was leaky and oil soaked, so as the Damage Control Assistant, I constantly worried about flooding or fire - either
  6. Hi! I am excited that I stumbled upon this website now. I am currently close to finishing up my first scratch model (which I will document in the log later) which is my second ship model. The first was a small sailboat kit (photo attached). The scratch model is the USS ENGAGE (MSO 433). ENGAGE was my first ship out of the Naval Academy, so it has a special place in my heart. I started the model in January 2008 and I am down to the final details today. I have attached a picture of its current state of build. The reason it has taken over 11 years to complete is many, but now I have the ti
×
×
  • Create New...