• 2 weeks later...

John,

Finally received your answer as that firewall problem prevented me getting into this post when I typed in the posting heading !

So thanks for your quick answer. Now I have another query for a ship's boat on a Mediterranean Ligurian navy ship (Euromodel Pinco Genovese). There are two timbers - one forward and one towards the stern that are athwartships BUT project through to the outside. Do I assume that they were employed to lift the boat up to the ship and if so, any idea of the terminology used to describe these timbers ?

Pete

post-593-0-86051600-1436488171.jpg

Hey, thanks to JerseyCity Frankie, I have learnt something new .... anchor kedging ! [ the link is provided above but it is the lost art of moving an engineless ship out of a tight harbor, narrow estuary or off a mudbank, etc where sailors in a long boat or cutter would carry a ship's anchor out in a direction they want the ship to go, drop the anchor, go back to the ship, use the ship's windlass/ capstan to wind the rope connected to the anchor back on board thus pulling the ship in the desired direction. The carrying of the anchor out in the first place looks like a particularly dangerous, slow and arduous task !!!! ]

I have attached a diagram of another ship's boat from Euromodel, this time the French frigate La Renommee (the stern structure relates to Fig. 467 in JerseyCity Frankie's link). Now I can sail further on in peace.

Pete

post-593-0-35193400-1436568381_thumb.jpg

Edited by piratepete007