Starter Tools

Hi All

It must have been asked before and I bet there is a list some where but I cant see it. So what are the basic tools needed to build a model.

Do you need a Dremel type tool? A friend has gave me some small files am also guessing and knife of some sort.

So what else do I need. Our nearest model shop is over 80 miles away so will be buying most, if not all the stuff off the net. So dont want to be in a place where I need a tool/item and dont have it.

So want to plan a head

rob

Current and my First Build  H M Bark Endeavour.

Rob,

It's in here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php   In the tools section.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rob, the first thing you need to keep in mind is what you want to do with this modeling 'thing'.

Did you buy a kit?

If not, that is the best way to start, and you can select any of those that are 'starter kits' on several internet sites. If you feel more confident, go for the one you really like.

Do you have any skills with small (or large) tools? There are lots of places to buy them, but keep in mind what you really need to get going are:

Tweezers, various sizes but keep them small.

Knives to cut wood. You definitely need one or two with lots of blades.

A series of small files or sanding blocks.

And I hope others will fill in the rest.

Welcome to this site, Rob 

and have fun..!!!! :rolleyes:

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thanks for the link and the replies. The kit am looking at is the "Corel Half Moon" as a friend has said it was the first model he built. So its that sort off kit am after. POB? Plank on Timber if thats the right term. did try to build a kit years ago and keep splitting/ snapping a lot of planks have now seen there are tools to help with this. Then there is all the rigging and so on. Will send off for a new Dremel today as broke my old one taking Grout out of tiles :(

And the Half moon is not a Defo kit still not bought the kit so am still looking for Idea's

Current and my First Build  H M Bark Endeavour.