Mast hoops- general rule of thumb?

I am building the kit Duke William 1773-1768 (cutter). I am told that it should have mast hoops but none were included in the kit. I have been poking around and found a general rule of thumb is; the hoops should be about 25% larger in diameter than the mast. I have ordered some of this size, but I have been unable to find out any further guide lines such as the number of hoops to use or particulars as to their installation.

Googling hasn't turned up much so far (perhaps I am using the wrong search terms). If somebody could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. :)   I would at least like to use a reasonable number of hoops, even if I have to guess at how they are attached.

Thanks,

Skip

Edited by skipper1947

According to Chapelle, on page 555 of his book, “The American Fishing Schooner 1825 – 1935” he says, “Mast hoops [were] spaced 24” to 36” apart, depending on the size of the vessel, sailmakers choice”.  He then gives examples such as Effie M. Morrissey fore mast 16, main 17 and Blue Nose fore mast 16, main 19.  Hope this helps.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 8 years later...

Bonjour Alain

WELCOME TO MSW!!!    It would be nice if you posted a little intro in the new member forum here at MSW.   I don't think you are supposed to post your email address.  I am sure a moderator will remove it as you may get spammed if it is left there.  If it is in your profile, members can find it or PM you.

Regarding your question, what era, what type of vessel, which mast, what nationality?   Are you talking about the hoops on the top and bottom of the wooldings or the hoops to which sails are attached on a schooner for example?

Again, welcome to MSW

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU