Cutty Sark by samson - Billing Boats

HI Sampson,

Thanks for the log.  I am in the same position as you were when you started on the Cutty Sark.   I purchased a kit that was started but never got past the planking and no deck buildings.  So I have been reading your log with interest.

I am sold on the idea of opening up the hatches and putting lights in the decks and cabins but I will use LEDs.  i have also found a wireless toggle switch that will solve the problem of switching them on and off when it is in a display case.   I was wondering giving all the rigging and sails etc where you plan to store the battery pack so that you can get at it to replace them?

I may well be coming back to you (and Peter) for more help over the winter, if that is OK.

Malcolm

On 9/5/2020 at 11:53 AM, Malcolm B said:

HI Sampson,

Thanks for the log.  I am in the same position as you were when you started on the Cutty Sark.   I purchased a kit that was started but never got past the planking and no deck buildings.  So I have been reading your log with interest.

I am sold on the idea of opening up the hatches and putting lights in the decks and cabins but I will use LEDs.  i have also found a wireless toggle switch that will solve the problem of switching them on and off when it is in a display case.   I was wondering giving all the rigging and sails etc where you plan to store the battery pack so that you can get at it to replace them?

I may well be coming back to you (and Peter) for more help over the winter, if that is OK.

Malcolm

hi and welcome to the club of Cutty sark builds .1815191649_strm(5).thumb.JPG.cc1688dc3a708c9fc249e48a1187f5ef.JPG2037145112_strm(6).thumb.JPG.98cdb83491089cdf7e9671ed86f70146.JPG
I direct the current through the stand so i can have the power source outside the model along with the switch.

HI Samson.

Thanks for replying so prompt.   That is a pretty smart way of powering the lights.  That has led to me thinking on and if I may suggest a possible improvement which will work if the ship sits on the bottom of the stand.  Replace the screw with the shell of a 'pop rivet' head.  If you take the pin out then you are left with a connector in which you can solder the wire which will then come out the bottom of the stand and can disappear through the display case base.      A dangerous flaw if you use LEDs, I spotted, is that if you put the ship back on the stand the wrong way round you will blow them and you cannot get in to replace them - so if a bridge rectifier is put in the circuit in the ship it can sit either way round on the stand with no problem.

I believe you used copper tape for the hull - what did you use to mark out the individual plates and planks - was it just a non-sharp scriber or do you have another cunning plan?

I've attached a picture of how I received the kit.  Its taken a long time to rectify the previous constructors errors and I am remaking the balsa wood stern then I think I can start to move forward.

2020-09-04 19.49.14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm B said:

HI Samson.

Thanks for replying so prompt.   That is a pretty smart way of powering the lights.  That has led to me thinking on and if I may suggest a possible improvement which will work if the ship sits on the bottom of the stand.  Replace the screw with the shell of a 'pop rivet' head.  If you take the pin out then you are left with a connector in which you can solder the wire which will then come out the bottom of the stand and can disappear through the display case base.      A dangerous flaw if you use LEDs, I spotted, is that if you put the ship back on the stand the wrong way round you will blow them and you cannot get in to replace them - so if a bridge rectifier is put in the circuit in the ship it can sit either way round on the stand with no problem.

I believe you used copper tape for the hull - what did you use to mark out the individual plates and planks - was it just a non-sharp scriber or do you have another cunning plan?

I've attached a picture of how I received the kit.  Its taken a long time to rectify the previous constructors errors and I am remaking the balsa wood stern then I think I can start to move forward.

2020-09-04 19.49.14.jpg

I'm glad you can use my experience for something. as for the copper plates at the bottom of the ship. they are maed of old bills and reminders ther are cut into small pieces and pasted with a mixture of white carpentry glue and water and finally painted with copper spray . 

very simple and inexpensive322499767_Billede361.thumb.jpg.e589ae947945821bf99fb7dfe1582c0a.jpg1802361274_Billede363.thumb.jpg.b4b4bf6ac9ea972488819d3c03e20ba8.jpg2103406540_Billede369.thumb.jpg.a404bf96242ae94c5fb0a5a1d742e4bd.jpg384510374_Billede372.thumb.jpg.7fd7ff361171247de36d604cddded3c6.jpg2042401102_Billede377.thumb.jpg.65c977ff77e56738dd2fec59ef4f8da3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

HI Samson,

Its Malcolm making the BB Cutty Sark.  Can I ask your advice.    I have just struggled to put the brass hand winch together and see you also made one.   What did you do to fix it, do you solder or glue - if glue, what glue do you use?  Is it Superglue or something a little more forgiving?

I've included a couple of pics to show some progress, although I am in the final stages of constructing the two main cabins.

Malcolm

2020-09-30 15.40.16.jpg

2020-09-30 15.40.36.jpg