Question about mast angle/length on phantom build

kdnash

Working on my little phantom model, first wooden ship... Using the practicum, I find myself stuck on the step where it instructs you to drill the mast holes. So you basically make a tool to help drill them at the correct angle. You make the hole a little smaller than you need it to be then sand down that part of the mast... I guess my question is; How deep do I drill the hole? Can't seem to find that in the plans, practicum or instructions. Help!

I can't say for sure on the phantom....but on my Harriet lane I drilled it 2x deeper than the diameter of the mast...I figured it would give the mast a good enough grip. The main thing is to make sure you don't drill ALL the way through the ship AND to make sure that you leave the mast long enough that its above the deck size is still correct (keeping in mind you may have to actually shorten the mast) good luck

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I can't say for sure on the phantom....but on my Harriet lane I drilled it 2x deeper than the diameter of the mast...I figured it would give the mast a good enough grip. The main thing is to make sure you don't drill ALL the way through the ship AND to make sure that you leave the mast long enough that its above the deck size is still correct (keeping in mind you may have to actually shorten the mast) good luck

Hmm, I don't even see the final mast length (height?) on the plans anywhere. Wonder if I've lost a page in my travels.

is there a 1:1 drawing that came with it? you can pull the dimension off that by measuring

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

1/2" is good enough.   The rigging will hold the mast in place just as it did on teh real ship.   Use teh plans to get teh final measurement with the addition of the 1/2" for the hole.

Chuck

1/2" is good enough.   The rigging will hold the mast in place just as it did on teh real ship.   Use teh plans to get teh final measurement with the addition of the 1/2" for the hole.

Chuck

I think I'm missing a page or two from the plans. I don't see anything that shows me the actual dimensions of the mast.

You'll need to measure the length above deck from the Rigging Plan (and add the 1/2" that goes below deck).  I come up with 8 1/4" from deck to top of mast cap.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 1 month later...

Working on my little phantom model, first wooden ship... Using the practicum, I find myself stuck on the step where it instructs you to drill the mast holes. So you basically make a tool to help drill them at the correct angle. You make the hole a little smaller than you need it to be then sand down that part of the mast... I guess my question is; How deep do I drill the hole? Can't seem to find that in the plans, practicum or instructions. Help!

I'm at a stage where I could drill the holes in my solid wood hull and I don't want to do it incorrectly. Would you please describe by photo or in writing what you mean by, "make a tool to help drill them at the correct angle."

Thanks, 

Edited by tdmongillo

Anthony Mongillo

Current build: USS Constitution- 1:96 Blue Jacket Shipcrafters

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look on the box, it should give you the witdth, length and height of the model, measure the height of the hull from keel to deck then subtract that off the height on the box, just remember to allow for the base of the mast below deck level.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard