18th Century Longboat by scasey88 - Model Shipways - small

Hello, this is my first build and chose the 18th century Longboat for a few reasons, it would give me some planking and rigging experience and if I totally messed it up I would no be out a lot of money, and I expected a challenge, which it is. I almost gave up on it after seeing a few of the other builds here, but decided to carry on with it and do the best I could with the mistakes that I have made, I. am bad at taking pictures while I am working but here we go.

longboat.jpg

6 hours ago, Andi Little said:

It looks to be a good start to me, and you obviously have the skills to take you forward - I think you are going to do particularly well.

Keep it up - well done!

PS, I'm a newbie too, and I haven't even got mine out of the box yet!!! :blink:

Thank you Andi, I appreciate it, What kit did you choose? The longboat as well? Get it out of that box and get started its lots of fun.:D

1 hour ago, Tigersteve said:

Best of luck. It is a difficult kit, but you've made good progress. 

Steve

Thank you Steve, I made some more progress last night I finished up the planking, now I need to fill and sand, I will post some more pics tonight when I get home from work.

Shawn

I suggest sanding as smooth as possible first, then fill, then sand again. You can mix the sawdust from the basswood with white glue to create the filler. Mix the glue and sawdust until it's a paste consistency. Just a tip that has worked for me.

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve,

I turn pens on a lathe and sometimes you get a crack or chip in the pen if you go down too thin and I have used that technique with excellent results, most of the time you could not even see the repair, the only difference is I would mix the sawdust with a slow setting ca glue fill the gap and sand smooth with the lathe running, I use ca glue for the final finish on the pen anyways, once you master the finishing with ca the results are a glass smooth finish that is durable as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good scasey

i enjoyed building my kit and now trying to build one from scratch .

cant wait to see your progress 

Derek:cheers:

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

1 hour ago, Slideways said:

Looks good scasey

i enjoyed building my kit and now trying to build one from scratch .

cant wait to see your progress 

Derek:cheers:

Thank you Derek,

I am glad that you enjoyed building your Longboat, the truth is I am just not that into this kit, and made many mistakes on it. Also I need to get one of those Optivisor things I am struggling with seeing the small detail stuff, I have got to the rigging stage and I am having a hard time with it, I do intend to finish this boat, here are a couple of pics of how it sits right now.20170907_183524.thumb.jpg.0b192603efa5fd9c397dbf90f1ba252b.jpg20170907_183440.thumb.jpg.37c8769294d58fdd280b163695676a90.jpg