US Brig Syren by scasey88 - Model Shipways - 1:64 scale

So I might be a little crazy trying to build the Syren at my skill level, but oh well, The 18th Century Longboat was just not that exciting for me and I am just not in to it much. I am very excited about the Syren however, What a beautiful ship, well designed by Chuck and great instruction book, I have spent hours looking at other build logs by Dubz, Rafine and Gahm etc, as well as the instruction book online, and with Model Expo having a Summer Doldrums sale the price was right and I went for it. I could not help myself and started taking pictures of the box, I know everyone has seen it but here we go

Syren001.jpg

Syren002.jpg

46 minutes ago, svein erik said:

Good luck on your syren build 

am started on my syren to😊

Svein.erik

Thank You, and Good luck to you as well!

16 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

A good omen for this build is the lack of the infamous pink plywood. Have fun!

Thank you Jim, yes I held my breath as I opened the box, but no pink plywood, all is good.

I'm pleased to see another Syren build getting started - I'm pulling up a chair.  I've got one going too and was motivated by similar factors - detailed instructions, beautiful ship, and lots of build logs to motivate and help!

You're off to a good start.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

18 minutes ago, Heronguy said:

I'm pleased to see another Syren build getting started - I'm pulling up a chair.  I've got one going too and was motivated by similar factors - detailed instructions, beautiful ship, and lots of build logs to motivate and help!

You're off to a good start.

Thank you Doug, I will be following along with your Syren build as well.

I have a question about the cannons for anyone that might know! I want to replace the kit cannons, and it seems as though everyone is using the Caldercradft cannons, Can any of Chucks cannons from Syren be used, they are beautiful cannons and I would like to support Chuck as much as possible?

Hi scasey88 -

I recently built SYREN and am currently working on CONFEDERACY.  The short answer to your question is yes, you probably could...but it would not be historically accurate.  SYREN carried 16 carronades.  Chuck sells cannons.  Google the difference.  Carronades were short cast iron cannon mounted on "sleds" and required a smaller gun crew.  Chuck's cannon are "long guns" that would have been mounted on gun carriages.  If you were to replace the carronades, you would need to buy the barrels and the carriages as well.  And yes, I agree...the cast metal carronade barrels that are supplied with the kit are pretty crappy.  I kept hoping that Chuck would opt to sell carronade barrels specifically for SYREN because it is such a popular kit, but it hasn't happened yet.  I wound up using the kit barrels and afterwards wished I had gone with Caldercraft.  Another option is to make your own.  Check out Jesse Lee's build log.  He did a great job making them out of wood.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.  No doubt others will be chiming in on this as well.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

23 minutes ago, GaryKap said:

Hi scasey88 -

I recently built SYREN and am currently working on CONFEDERACY.  The short answer to your question is yes, you probably could...but it would not be historically accurate.  SYREN carried 16 carronades.  Chuck sells cannons.  Google the difference.  Carronades were short cast iron cannon mounted on "sleds" and required a smaller gun crew.  Chuck's cannon are "long guns" that would have been mounted on gun carriages.  If you were to replace the carronades, you would need to buy the barrels and the carriages as well.  And yes, I agree...the cast metal carronade barrels that are supplied with the kit are pretty crappy.  I kept hoping that Chuck would opt to sell carronade barrels specifically for SYREN because it is such a popular kit, but it hasn't happened yet.  I wound up using the kit barrels and afterwards wished I had gone with Caldercraft.  Another option is to make your own.  Check out Jesse Lee's build log.  He did a great job making them out of wood.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.  No doubt others will be chiming in on this as well.

<<Gary>>

Ok, Thank you Gary

That is a big help, I understand now, and yes I did see Jesse Lee's build log, I agree he did a great job on making his carronades. Well even though I have a lathe, I might play around with making some barrels from wood or brass, the hard part would be to get them all the same size. So for me it will be Caldercraft, more than likely.

Its great to see another Syren Build. I replaced the stern chasers with long guns from Chuck. And I will likely go to Coldercraft for the Carronades. Anyone have a link? I also suggest you look at Chuck's ships wheel kit and rigging line. I have replaced all the rigging from my Syren with Chucks. I also replaced the ships bell with one I found at Model Expo. And I replaced the hull planking above the wale with Box wood.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

47 minutes ago, fnkershner said:

Its great to see another Syren Build. I replaced the stern chasers with long guns from Chuck. And I will likely go to Coldercraft for the Carronades. Anyone have a link? I also suggest you look at Chuck's ships wheel kit and rigging line. I have replaced all the rigging from my Syren with Chucks. I also replaced the ships bell with one I found at Model Expo. And I replaced the hull planking above the wale with Box wood.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking at Chuck's site and trying to come up with a list of things to purchase from him, and I was thinking about replacing above the wale with boxwood an possibly the deck planking as well

3 hours ago, svein erik said:

If you want to replace the corronades you can get them from cadlecraft, 

but do use the 18 punds corronades they are match to the plaNS

Svein.erik

Chuck has corronades but they are in 1/4 scale. Look in the Cheerful section.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I'll join as well. I have the Syren on the shelf and plan to also start a log in a few months so I'm keen to see how you go.

Peter

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Last night I got some more sanding done on the bulkheads, and tapered the stem and test fit the Syren, So tonight I plan on double checking the fit on all the bulkheads and gluing on the stem and false keel, let that dry overnight and tomorrow I should be able to start gluing up the bulkheads

Chuck's Corronades will not work. They do not use the same Carriage as the Syren.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

5 minutes ago, fnkershner said:

Chuck's Corronades will not work. They do not use the same Carriage as the Syren.

Thank you, I was wondering if they would work anyways being 1/4 scale, also I noticed they are sold 5 per package, and I would have to buy 4 of them to get 16, oh well back to Caldercraft.

If you find a link to order the Caronnades please share.

10 hours ago, fnkershner said:

If you find a link to order the Caronnades please share.

I will, I would like to find somewhere here in the u.s. that has them. So far about all I have found is complete carronades with the sled, and those are too pricey.