Mare Nostrum by mhegazi - Artesania Latina

Hello MSW

Before all, I really would like to thank everyone here , for all the help and guiding they provided to me , even without knowing that I do exist :)

Business has been going slowly in Egypt due to the ongoings , so , i decided to do something to spend quality time , and your site was very inspiring.

I did choose the Mare Nostrum to start with , build up my tools and learning how to go around things.

I got several pics to attach , though my camera is not of that high resolution as it should , but , it gives an idea about what has been going on

thanks alot again everybody in MSW again

Mohamad

and there's where I was few weeks back 

Of course , I ran out of the Mahogany veneers , so i bought a sheet of the same color and used a surgical blade # 11 to cut the 5mm's 

also bought a walnut wood and manged to come up with 4 , 5 , 6 X 1.5 mm sticks

and also missing a lot of the brass small pieces that didn't come with the kit , but , I'm managing

post-421-0-24927900-1366548144_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-69167200-1366548185_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-07691600-1366548244_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-96675500-1366548269_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-49691500-1366548280_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-04323500-1366548288_thumb.jpg

Mohamad, glad to see you start a build log. Your Mare looks very nice. Will follow your log with interest.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again MSW

here comes more of what i've been doing the past 2 weeks

the kit came missing several brass pieces , i had to do some , bought a 7mm brass rod and manages to do the rollers with a hand drill and a saw - cheated for a  lathe :)

about the wood work , all came out well , put the boxes were not accurate  +/- 1mm , they will look very naive

i think I'll redo them when i buy a sanding table 

the pieces are still unfinished and need sanding for the glue remains 

Hello again MSW

here comes more of what i've been doing the past 2 weeks

the kit came missing several brass pieces , i had to do some , bought a 7mm brass rod and manages to do the rollers with a hand drill and a saw - cheated for a  lathe :)

about the wood work , all came out well , put the boxes were not accurate  +/- 1mm , they will look very naive

i think I'll redo them when i buy a sanding table 

the pieces are still unfinished and need sanding for the glue remains 

post-421-0-04828800-1367530333_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-99002200-1367530468_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-30672200-1367530523_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-58757600-1367530548_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-41038200-1367530580_thumb.jpg

Mohamad, nice progress on this tiny stuff.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

thank you John and Brian

as for the boxes , they are not on the same length  ( the 29 mms ) and they will look like a mess when they are but together in place , but the sides are perpendicular , i used an aluminium L shaped angle to place the sides till the glue dries , and it worked just well

as for boxes support , I calculated it's height ( given that i'm using sticks that I milled 2 X 5 mm cross section to build the boxes )

8 boxes , the height of each box is 8 mm ( 2mm base thickness + 5 mm  sides + 1mm for box's grip )  it would give 64 mms in total for the boxes and i added and extra .5 cm on the top , and  but the number of horizontals , i worked on 3 mm vertical stick witha 3mm spacing in between .

and i'll cut the extra length from the bottom 

as for the verticals ,  in the beginning i used 4 verticals (2 X 2 mm ) , but it felt so weak and very breakable , so i decided to support it with an extra  two 2 X 5 mm verticals 

I think it all will come to shape when it's assembled 

and about the plans , i'm not sticking to it down to the very mm of it , guess i have that since i was playing with  ( lego bricks ) back in the 60's :)

thank you for dropping by gentelmen & enjoy your build Brian

Mohamad

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Brian

things around here feels like loooong loong Mexican soap opera :) , but i'm progressing as well in my build ( slower than you ) , put following what's going on , actually I liked the idea of covering the plywood sides with a black pen !

The plinth is not in my kit , actually I got used to miss things on the kit , there lot of these 1 mm brass bars missing , I used 1 mm copper from an electricity wire to keep on going on ! missed the mahogany veneers , 5 mm walnut sticks , engine's internal chimney , the ladder sides , the wench brass handles and god knows what else.

i thought that this was only in my kit , but it's common 

anyway , I really like your ship , it's becoming one of fine Mares in the forum 

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Hello MSW

Here goes that latest with my Mare Nostrum

I almost finished the wood work , the fittings and the coating 

I also build a display stand

still have the rigging job that hopefully will be carried out later tomorrow

with all your building logs I could add no more , gratefully , thanks u all IN MSW for all the help you offered 

Brian , if you meant by "plinth"  the horizontal bar over the mast , it must be there !

and also , the rack of the boxes turned out to be high , i had the take it out and reduce it's height , u were right

Will miss your comments Dear John  

Mohamad

post-421-0-91358700-1371470251_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-38143500-1371470256_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-02246900-1371470257_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-76360200-1371470257_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-10162300-1371470259_thumb.jpg

Thank you Brin fir your nice comments

about the brass parts , I have a friend who has a mini lathe , and he was kind enough to let me use it , and thank to your help and info I could get the parts in the right scale

and yes , i scrach built the capping peices on the side walls :) , i tried to bend the kit's original pieces , but i forgot them boiling untill the water dried out and tottaly burned

pinting the engine was an idea i got from john's build ( i beleive )

I got it all now rigged , but the Rope ladder's steps are not done so far , will post the pics as soon as possibe

I have a job now in hand , but as soon as I can , I'll scrach build ( el Nina ) , I have this thing with that ship

hopw all is well with you and all in MSW

Mohamad

• 2 months later...

Happy Birthday

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• The title was changed to Mare Nostrum by mhegazi - Artesania Latina