Model - Constellation Americas Cup boat

Looseplank

G'day all,

Have posted here ages ago, however all appears to be gone now.

OK, first up I must fess up to not building this one 🙄

In my defence I'd say due to the fact I still haven't finished by little scratch built ship, I had to have a display piece to soothe the anxieties 😀

So she stands about 1.5m high overall....but needs a really good clean and rigging replaced here and there.

I wondering the best way to clean the sails? Not sure of the exact material, though it feels a little stiff and has a slight sheen.

Just bung them in the washing machine or soak...thinking if I use bleach they come out too white?

Hope to also ask advice regarding correct rigging etc as it doesn't look quite right to me.

52558961_1219972288168546_7871970365398843392_n.thumb.jpg.1409b0263a134dd6cd07158f9874a51f.jpg

Edited by Looseplank

Gidday Looseplank and a warm welcome from sunny Bairnsdale Victoria.

Re bleach on the sails, this may be too harsh a treatment. The sheen may be a lacquer or similar protective coating.

I would use white vinegar and water. 1/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 water in a spray bottle

You could also try a commercially available spot cleaner. If this is not successful try the washing machine.

If all else fails you may have to have the sails made or have  a go at making them yourself.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

I would think the vinegar being acidic would be bad for cleaning sails.   The commercial cleaner (liquid laundry soap) with a gentle soak, rinse, and dry would probably be best.  I have heard of folks using baking soda but that's a basic and might be as bad as acid.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gidday again Looseplank.

I forgot to mention in my post above,#2, that once you have applied the diluted vinegar the sails should of course be rinsed in fresh water. I do not know the composition of the sails so you will have to judge what punishment they can survive.

I hope I have not confused the issue.

Wishing you all the best.

Mark.