This may be more of a hull finishing question than a construction question. Having the ship's name on the transom seems to be common for larger ships (especially well known), but it seems to be much more variable on smaller ships and boats, even when looking at contemporary historical models. Is this preference of the modeler or are there any formal or informal conventions for this? I'm particularly interested in 19th century British Naval vessels as I am working on a build of HM Cutter Mermaid.

James

Edited by JamesBhm

Gidday James.

While I do not have a definitive answer to your question I find the topic fascinating. I have searched on naming conventions for the US, British and Aussie Navies and find the more you look the deeper down the rabbit hole you go.

I hope some of the more knowledgeable members can assist with your query.

I for one will be following with interest.

Wishing you all the best,

Mark.

4 hours ago, CPDDET said:

Here is an interesting link. While it doesn't answer your question exactly, it may prove to be a resource to get the correct answer.

You're right...didn't quite answer the question but an interesting read and I got pulled into some of the other blog posts as well. Thanks for sharing!

Good Evening James; 

On the 9th September 1772, the Navy Board issued a warrant to all dockyards, instructing them to paint the names of ships on the second counter. The letters to be as high as can be fitted. No colour is specified. The only other comment is that the name is not to be in a 'compartment', meaning not in a painted frame.

I do not know if this applied to cutters, but they are not excluded.

Then, on the 25th June 1787, the Board ordered that the name was to be painted on a board in 12 ins letters, the board to be hooked (presumably fastened) to the second counter.

However, the painting of names was cancelled after a relatively short period, not much more than 20 years at the most, I think. It was then stopped, as it was considered that it was information which might be useful to enemies.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

17 hours ago, Mark P said:

On the 9th September 1772, the Navy Board issued a warrant to all dockyards, instructing them to paint the names of ships on the second counter. The letters to be as high as can be fitted. No colour is specified. The only other comment is that the name is not to be in a 'compartment', meaning not in a painted frame.

Thanks Mark, that's very helpful, and it sounds like it accounts for some of the variability and narrows down the possible appearance a little bit (i.e., no compartment). Thank you. 

17 hours ago, Cabbie said:

Your boat James, your model, put it on if you want.

I'm definitely leaning in that direction and exploring ways to model it...just wanted to make sure there's no definitive reason it would be historically inaccurate.