Hello everyone, like many other beginners who started here, now it is my turn. I read the post which is directed to people like me and I can’t agree more but I must get into it and then find out if I can succeed or not.

I ordered the Triton plans last Saturday for my first build and waiting eagerly to see how they look and the amount of any details, however although I’m familiar with imperial scales I don’t understand the meaning of scales I see here. For example I was told that 1:48 means 1 inch = 48 inches and that’s fine but now I see in some builds 48:1. Is this the same as 1:48?

And my last question for now: In the attached picture, the ruler in feet is marked 1, 5, 10, and 20. Is it correct to assume that the ruler is in the specific scale this ship is been build?

Thank you

Scale Capture.JPG

Nicolas

30 minutes ago, Oskar24 said:

Is this the same as 1:48?

Technically no. One expresses a drawing that is 48 times bigger than the original ship while the other a drawing 48 times smaller. But people (including me) mix them up all the time. It doesn't really matter as you will soon notice if the drawing is 48 times bigger ;)

30 minutes ago, Oskar24 said:

Is it correct to assume that the ruler is in the specific scale this ship is been build?

It should be, but you can check. 1:48 is also known as 1/4" to the foot ( 12 inches divided by 48 = 0.25 inches) so put a ruler on the scale and check it.

Note, 20x0.25 = 5 so the 'ruler' should measure 5 inches long to the 20 foot mark or 1/4 inch for each 1 foot mark.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts