Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Melbourne, Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. First they became a fence, did you notice the latitude of Macquarie Harbour? 42° South, that's roaring forties. You might like this one then, Port Arthur the main penal settlement. https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1961910992/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1965082829&partId=nla.obj-1961946782#page/n26/mode/1up
  2. An account of Macquarie Harbour and Sarah Island: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1956722306/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1965094843&partId=nla.obj-1961882571#page/n40/mode/1up Continuation: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1956083842/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1959466639&partId=nla.obj-1956120316#page/n18/mode/1up
  3. Ship building, Sarah Island 1832. The fence in the background is a windbreak the length of the island.
  4. Apparently yes, I was aware of shipbuilding at Port Arthur but I assumed small vessels. It seems more likely that the 74 gun was probably built at Sarah Island in Macquarie Harbour on the west coast. http://www.ourtasmania.com.au/devonport/sarah-isld.html If I have it right, the shipyard was to the right of the bridge. A nearly completed Brig was stolen from there by 10 convicts and sailed to Chile but the amazing part is that they got it through 'Hells Gate' the entrance to Macquarie Harbour. https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE740422&mode=browse The entrance is just this side of the lighthouse.
  5. Lower deck done (I think). It was interesting trying to work out the original Lapwing layout from under the revisions for Speedy, luckily ZAZ6347 for the Basilisk seems based on the original Lapwing. Somehow the squeezed 10 passengers in on the trip to Australia and I have a copy of an advert for 'First Class passage'
  6. Deck done for now. Also tidied up those reference lines.
  7. Sail plan, just for something different. EDIT: Sailplan updated, now includes spar dimensions an a scale. Please let me know of any spelling or terminology issues. Lapwing Sailplan 1in48.mc.pdf
  8. A bit more progress. Deck almost done, just winches to do I think. I realise now that I should have drawn all those station lines and guide lines on different layers so I could turn them off, live and learn.
  9. All I know is it's called 'nesting'. As for the stern, I don't blame you. I'd been looking at these drawings for months and didn't see it, then all of a sudden there it was.
  10. Hope you don't mind if I throw a potential spanner in the works. I'm not positive yet but it seems like the transom has those sticky out ear thingys. I think the black lines below are the hull and the green the transom. I won't be sure until I get around to drawing the deck.
  11. To try to ease my headache I put together a list of plans relation to the Lapwing etc. I don't think it worked. Lapwing related plans.pdf
  12. Well, not an impossible fit. Agrees with some of the guesses I have made. But three different drawings have three different arrangements of the deadwood/keelson. And where did that trim on the transom come from?
  13. Excellent! Brilliant! There's a 43 in the top left corner, probably when copies were made by or for the Danes. Was there a treaty at that time I wonder? On ZAZ6507 you can just make it out as indicated, it's a bit clearer on ZAZ6377 which shows both a hatch and a deckhouse. I'm guessing he based his model on the drawings Bruce has provided.
  14. That was what I was referring to. The midship frame drawing seems to be taken from ZAZ6429 (1818) inking in the pencilled alterations. The deck plan has already given me some more clues, thanks again.
  15. Thanks Bruce, not as such. The midship section appears later than Lapwing, ZAZ6428 is dated 1817 and shows the bloody great deck beam knee I posted above. The one you've posted seems to be 1818 or later. The deck plan/s are better quality than I have but still seem to be 1817 or later (or perhaps 'as built'). Still great to have, they will make things a little easier. EDIT: May have been a refit as she was still in service in 1843.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...