Phantom by Jaeon - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/96 - The 11 year Pilot boat project

I finished my Pilot boat. It took 11 years. 

I had built many plastic plane models and felt it was time to try something new. My wife bought me this kit for Christmas 2007. I dug right in.
I followed the practicum as best as my ability allowed me to. I made small errors from the start. Small errors compound over time. If the templates are cut a little off the hull will be a little off and from there everything else is a little off til a point is reached where I said uh oh this is not going to fit there as it should. 

I progressed well enough through coppering of the hull, etc. When the time came to craft the cap rail I had an extremely hard time of it for whatever reason. Nothing I did worked. Frustration set it. 
I don't understand this. I had no desire to continue. I packed up the ship and put it in the closet. It sat for a couple years. Then, I needed closet space so the ship went to the garage attic where all things go to die. Over the next 5 years I saw it on occasion while looking for something else. On occasion my wife asked about the boat and I told her the truth....My skill level sucks, I have no desire, I can't understand the next step, etc. I don't lie to myself or my wife. 

In early December 2017 I needed something to do. I was only working per diem and very near retirement. I rescued the Pilot boat. The cap rail was still a conundrum. I spent some time looking over what needing doing and figured a way. Balsa USA is in my town so I went over and got a couple sheets then traced and cut it out as one entire piece. I did that 4 times before I got one that worked to my satisfaction. I glued it down and didn't like it at all. I ended up removing it and trying again...finally !  I worked on the ship almost daily for four months. The good weather arrived and I put it away til December 2018. Since then I worked on it sporadically. Today I hung the last flag. 

Rigging taught me that super glue is my friend. I learned that later then I would have liked. The rigging that came with the kit is not good. I would have bought aftermarket had I known it exists.

There is a lot more I could write and I may

pilot boat final2.jpg

Well worth the wait she looks great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good evening Jason Dobbie ECS will be 4 this August and is my bestest ever friend love your photo of the dogs

IMG_4031.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat