Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About RussR

  • Birthday 10/22/1944

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
  • Interests
    History, Reading, Magic Performance,

Recent Profile Visitors

845 profile views
  1. I don't know. The last time I used Glue Stick, I didn't have to remove it.
  2. For individual parts, I have just used Elmers Glue Stick. But it might not be practical for a large area. Just another thought, why wouldn't plane old flour and water work? Or wouldn't the white paste we would use in school work? RussR
  3. Thank you Messis and Derek and others for the comments and others for the "👍". The model is in our family room. This is my biggest problem, "where do I put it after it is finished". I will probably end up giving them away to make room for more. The fun part is building them. This is my second build and hope not my best. I made many errors on it but hope the next will be better. RussR
  4. I finished the case today. Here is a couple of shots. Thank you all for the "Likes" and comments. Next build will be the Chaperon Stern Wheel Steamer.
  5. Y.T. I think 0.004 of an inch is as good as one could expect. One could have that much variance in the grit of the paper. Besides, we aren't building parts for the Space Shuttle. RussR
  6. Christa, If you ask a dozen different people you will get a dozen different opinions. My 1st was a AL 1805 Swift Pilot. It was one of the early ones without the sails. I bought it on Ebay for $40. I ended up throwing it away. But I learned about framing (keeping everything square), planking, tapering masts, painting, rigging and more. For me it was a cheap education. You can't learn how to swim reading a book. I had to just jump in and learn as you go. I just recently saw a documentary about the late TV painter Bob Ross. He said everyone has the ability to paint. All one needs is a strong desire to be successful. My only advice is don't jump in over your head and buy a great big three masted fully rigged ship. You may find out, this isn't for you. RussR
  7. I am still waiting on the glass for my Hermione build. So in the meantime I thought I would do some of the preliminary task before my Chaperon build. I have both the Chaperon and Armed Virginia Sloop by MS and waffled between which one to start. The Chaperon won out because there is fewer built and I have Kurt Van Dahm's excellent CD "Building Chaperon" and the many build logs here on MSW. I may sell the AVS because my wants will probably change before Chaperon is built. This will be my 1st build log and will try to make many updates and photos but can't make promises. I just don't want to get to deep into it until the Hermione case is completed. Here is a few pics of the kit as received without the paperwork. I did put the small parts into the plastic box that came with my Hermione kit.
  8. I also enjoyed the build, but I think it could have been better if it had be at least 1/64 scale. I also think we obsess over a lot of details that most people don't care about. I guess that is the OCD in us. Your workmanship is already better than mine. The camera makes mine look better than it is. RussR
  9. Just keep up the good work, you will get there. Yours looks great so far. I finished my Hermione the 22nd of this month. I built mine straight out of the box with no mods. RussR
  10. Thanks Y.T. This is a single planked hull. I guess one could say the second planking is the fill and paint. Thank Peter I don't know what "mainbrace is". For now my focus is on the case for my model and and where to put it now that it is finished . My next build will be either the Model Shipways Chaperon or Armed Virginia Sloop Until next time. RussR
  11. I am now building a glass case for it . But I have to wait on the glass. The locale glass shop was out of 1/8" glass. My take away from this experience is: Don't ever build a model that only has a CD for instructions. Don't build anything smaller than 1/50 scale. Don't build anything longer than 36 inches. I only have a 9 ft by 9 ft space. I could be wrong, but I think MESSIS' and mine is the only completed Hermione on MSW. That is it for now. RussR

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...