I coated my hull with polyester resin. The container said it should completely cure and be dry to the touch in 2 hours, but after 2 days it still has wet/tacky spots, although most is completely dry. The instructions said 1 ounce of resin for every 10 drops of hardener, and I followed that explicitly, but I guess I didn't mix it well enough.

What can I do to fix this and get everything dry? I still need to do a little sanding, and can't do that if it's still gunky. Should I wash it with acetone to dissolve the uncured resin, or wash it with hardener to try and cure the remaining unmixed portion?

I had to, several years ago, set a hull in my car's hatch back and park in the sun for a week to get the resin to set. The car stank for about two weeks after I took it out, but the resin finally set.

21 hours ago, JohnLea said:

Try heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun.  I have had some success with polyurethane resin and whatever type is used in the fiberglass kits.

Yeah, that seems to have mostly done it. Although a side effect seems to be it caused gas or water vapor to be emitted from the wood underneath, and that caused a lot of bubbling and even some detachment of filler between the wood and the resin, so I'm likely going to have to sand off most of the resin and re-fill.

The resin used for autobody work, does not attach well to wood. Check out the epoxy resins used in marine applications. Those are designed for wood. Having said that, in the past I have used the Bondo type resins, and they have performed well on my models.

I think the heat gun may be too hot, a slow gentle heat may be better.