New member looking for 1/72 carronades / cannon

Hello, I'm a new member from the the beautiful Peak District in the Northwest of England and I'm very pleased and excited to be a part of such a prestigious group of modellers.

My first build was the caravel Nina and flushed with success I went straight for the Sovereign of the Seas.

Big mistake, it's now sitting half built in drydock until I can acquire the skills and patience to tie the hundreds of knots required to make this expensive purchase worthwhile!

Meanwhile I would be very grateful for any advice/assistance in sourcing 1/72 24lb carronades and 3/4lb cannon for my current build of La Toulonaisse as I am not happy with the quality of the guns supplied with the Corel kit.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to MSW, it is a great place.

Concerning the guns: there was considerable standardization of the shape and proportions of guns. If you establish what the dimensions of the guns should be in 1/72nd scale you can then safely buy some generic barrels of the correct length (such as 24mm, 32mm etc) and know they are 'right'.

Several MSW sponsors carry such items.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Gidday doktorvok and warm welcome from the land downunder.

I can only second Bruce's comments in post #2.

I have seen some fittings kits available here in The Land of Oz but I'll be buggered if I can locate the vendors at the present time. My point is you may want to look for one of these kits, in England or Europe. I am assuming that you may run into some other quality issues.

Regarding your comments on the Sovereign of the Seas, I too have experienced falling for a kit and not having the skills to complete her. I have learnt from the experience and revisited the kit so all was not lost.

La Toulonaisse is a good looking model and I have her in my stash. 

I will follow your progress and if I can I will offer advice as we go along.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

Hi there Mark, happy to know you & thanks for your response. 

I've found a nice kit from Caldercraft, it's an English carronade but I reckon I can modify the sled into a passable French version.

I will definitely revisit SotS, but i think I'll avoid 1/84th scale in the future!

Thank you for your kind offer of advice, I'm looking forward to future builds and discussions with your good self.

Best wishes,

Paul

Welcome to MSW, doktorvok.

I too agree with Bruce. You don't need the whole cannon with carriage.   Just the barrels, right?  Or is this one of those kits where the cannon and carriage are cast together as one piece?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)