what are these boats worth if anything?

Probate1

I'll start by saying I know very little about model ships or ships in general for that matter, though I do work at a port so I see them quite often.

A lady I work with's father died a while back and he was a collector of a vast amount of stuff which the family are gradually moving on, because her mother is downsizing.

Amongst the stuff are these 2 model ships. I said I would try to find out where the best place to sell them on would be (ebay?) and what they might be worth. I thought that asking on a forum like this might be the best place to start. Does anyone recognise these sorts of model ships and could answer my questions?

Thanks, wayne

IMG-20191023-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191023-WA0003.jpg

These both appear to be mass-produced decor models. As such, their value is whatever you can squeeze out of them, but don't expect to get much, because they are inexpensive to begin with and the market is flooded with them. EBay has many pages of such models. Your best bet may actually be donating them to someplace like Goodwill.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Hi,

Unfortunately built models never realise their true value unless built under a commission. You never really see them sell well on ebay.

Your top model is, best guess, a Mediterranean ship rigged merchant vessel similar to a Genoese or Venetian but is not an accurate build so would be only symbolic. The lower is a Chinese Junk ( Don't be offended this was what they were called). Neither are what I would call a scale replica model but more what you would find for sale in a seaside souvenir shop. Not sure how the Junk is constructed but the top one may well be plank on frame so someone may of built from kits. I might be completely wrong and someone here may have more knowledge.

I do not think they are of great value but do have a charm that someone might want to put on display in their study. You see similar in many a rental holiday cottage in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: