Scaling an image in Blender - lost post link

I'm sorry, but I can't find a post about this subject. It concerns setting up the measurements in blender. The author showed how it was done by, I believe sizing the image and setting up the right measurement parameters. If any one recalls the post I would appreciate the link. Or if anyone has a method, please let me know.

Thanx,

Ed

Are you talking about scaling and positioning plans into the Blender 3D environment?  You might be thinking about my post below, where I show my method for doing that.  (Note that I was using Blender 2.79, and some elements of the user interface are different in Blender 2.8.)

If you are still unclear on the procedure, I'd be happy to go through it step by step with you here, perhaps using your plan files.

Peter

Completed build: Virginia 1819 from Artesania Latina

In progress: Sultana

3 hours ago, malachy said:

The '50 pixels per feet' probably is just a measurement taken from the original plan in a program like Photoshop or GIMP

Correct.  Here is an image from the plans which includes the scale.  It goes from 0 to 110 feet.  I brought into in a graphics program (I use GIMP) and noted that the 0 mark is at X value 342 and the 100 mark is at X value 5342.  5342 - 342 = 5000 pixels from 0 to 100 feet.  Therefore 5000 pixels / 100 feet = 50 pixels/foot.  (Your result is likely not to be a nice whole number as in my example.)

ernestina_halfbr.jpg

Peter

Completed build: Virginia 1819 from Artesania Latina

In progress: Sultana

Ed, that's the way I usually do it. I put a placeholder of required dimensions in the scene and then scale the plans in the background to fit the object. it's certainly not 100% precise but it is good enough. the thing is, when building ships you usually have exact dimensions stated for individual objects (Lees, Steel, NMM plans...), so use them when modeling, background plans are there more for reference than for CAD-precise-like modeling...

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

A reference object in the modelling app works, too, of course. But I take measurements from the plan(s) anyway, if only to check if there are distortions and if the horizontal pixel/feet ratio is the same as the vertical one.

And if you already have a pixel/feet ratio, why not use it in the app? ;)