Model Shipways Plans

acaron41120

I have a chance to get a Flying Fish kit by Model Shipways for next to nothing. The seller found the kit in a box of items from when his father passed and asked me if I wanted to buy it. My question is what are Model Shipway plans like? Are they easy to follow and understand or do they leave a lot to be desired? I have been building Billing Boats kits and theirs leave me with the impression that no one ever built any of their models. Thanks in advance.

Allen C

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Allen there are two sets of plans of the Flying Fish. One by Model Shipways with the yellow box by H.S. Scott developed in the 1950s and the more current set by Ben Lankford used in the Model Expo Kit who bought MS. Both are very good and worth having. Ben Lankford may be using more current information and are more detailed. 

The one difference between the plans is that Scott shows the mast as either all solid stick or made mast construction without the groves known as chapelling, and Lanford shows the main and fore as made mast that have been chapelled per instructions pg 32. I am not sure if it was a written fact from the time period that the Flying Fish had this feature. Ben Lanford may have been using a reference of how the Flying Cloud was known to have had it done when designing the plans since Donald McKay built both of them. 

I built three models of this ship over the coarse of my life. Two were using the Model Shipways solid hull kit in the 70s for an individual store proprietor and one by scratch planked semi framed in the 90s. The latter was purchased by a company occupying one of the World Trade Centers building and from what I gather was destroyed in the 9/11 attack. 

I'm drifting here, so in summary having the plans and instructions are worth getting.
Scott

Mark and Scott. After looking at the instructions Mark supplied its very obvious that Model Shipway has way better plans. I've never seen that much detail in any model ship plans. Thank you both for your assistance. I'll contact the fellow and give him a fair price for the model kit.

Allen

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Allen, 

I just built one I got from my dad in the 60's.  It's a great model, but  here's a hint.  If you have a solid hull, use the 1950's plans and use the 1980 plans for insight and nice updates where they'll work.  If you have the non solid hull, use the 1980 plans and hang the 1950s plans on the wall for decoration.   (I have a solid hull.  Model Expo gave me a current 1980s set of plans for free, and any parts the kit was missing.  They're really nice over there.)

The reason is that although the 1980 plans have more accurate details, it is not compatible with the solid hull kit's parts or plans.  For example, the 1980 plans specs different dimensions for the cabins, yards, and other deck fixtures.  If my memory serves me right, the 1950s plans do not include Stensil (sp?) booms and even little things like the grate under the wheel are different.

Good luck. It's worth the effort.