I am about to commence to build a Frigate period 1760, the hull was double planked, I don't know what this is and the books I own none mention bar one which calls it a second layer, is this true. if it is, is there a correct way to add this second layer to fit an English Royal Naval Vessel?

Welcome to MSW Damon!!

Which frigate are you looking to build and is it a scratch build or a  kit?  Kit models do often use a double set of planking over bulkheads in place of frames.  British vessels were built with a single layer of planking on the outside of frames,  and of various thicknesses with the wales being the thickest.   They were also planked on the inside and these strakes also varied in thickness including thick strakes for the deck clamps and other thicknesses at various points inside the hull.  

In general regarding planking, be it a single layer as the ships were actually built or the outer layer of a double planked kit, please take a little time and read the planking tutorials here at MSW.  There are many ways of planking that wind up with  a look that is not at all realistic and take away from the look of the finished hull but the tutorials will help you get the planking done nicely and yield a look that is realistic.   I would urge you to start a build log and as you come to each point in the build, you can get answers to your questions and some guidance  to avoid unnecessary do-overs.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU