74 Gun | Ship of the Line - 3rd Rate | Blender

On 5/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, Kurtis said:

I'm inclined to ask, what are you thinking in terms of taking it through the STL conversion process? What would be your end-goal?

Hi Kurtis - apologies,  I follow threads via a weekly highlights email, hence it can be ages before I see replies!

Anyway, back to the point: if I was you I’d be wanting to turn this into a hard copy that was sat on a shelf, that’s all. And because it’s currently soft copy, you could do that at whatever scale you wanted. True about the sails, unlikely that you could get something good via printing, and of course you’d have to do all the rigging by hand.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

7 hours ago, Kevin-the-lubber said:

Hi Kurtis - apologies,  I follow threads via a weekly highlights email, hence it can be ages before I see replies!

Anyway, back to the point: if I was you I’d be wanting to turn this into a hard copy that was sat on a shelf, that’s all. And because it’s currently soft copy, you could do that at whatever scale you wanted. True about the sails, unlikely that you could get something good via printing, and of course you’d have to do all the rigging by hand.

I would love to have a hard copy sitting on my shelf! :D I feel it might be possible with further tweaking as there's a lot of intersecting geometry, and each part / plank would have to be printed solo. It'd be a big job refining it , printing it all, and then finding ways to put it all together again. Some parts might need real world readjustment or refinement, and indeed the sails and rigging would have be the same as how you guys do them with your wooden models.

• 10 months later...

sotl_74gun_attempt3_build-render-103.thumb.png.bae73f342651619c529658a28fddef63.png

Hey, I'm still here! 👀

I've made some fairly significant progress on the texturising, rigging and modelling this ship -- including setting up a figurehead which took me a long time! I'm still doing some final cleanup but I'm finally nearly ready for some renders.

I've started working in a job full time so I haven't had as much time as I used to, but I'm still doing bits on this every night.

I should be posting some more updates (comparatively) soon. Keep your eyes peeled!