Viking Drakkar by Matt H - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:50

Hi Matt,   Nice job on a beautiful model.  It made me pick one up!  Especially since I've been watching the Vikings series!  I was just looking at the instructions for the planking and it says to soak the plywood planks in a mixture of water and glue and to let dry before gluing the planking onto the bulkheads.  It also says to score the planks lengthwise so that they can bend in the middle.  My question is did you follow these instructions?  My fear is that if you soak the planks with white glue how can you stain afterwards? Also the plywood is pretty thin to be scoring with a knife.

Thanks,

Ric

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Hi Matt,   Nice job on a beautiful model.  It made me pick one up!  Especially since I've been watching the Vikings series!  I was just looking at the instructions for the planking and it says to soak the plywood planks in a mixture of water and glue and to let dry before gluing the planking onto the bulkheads.  It also says to score the planks lengthwise so that they can bend in the middle.  My question is did you follow these instructions?  My fear is that if you soak the planks with white glue how can you stain afterwards? Also the plywood is pretty thin to be scoring with a knife.

Thanks,

Ric

Thanks Ric, it was a great kit and I too watched and just finished the Vikings series! Someone else had that question and I was tagged in their build log. Here is the link to my first response and a couple of posts down I provided a clearer image and an image of that part of the instruction book.

I did NOT use the water/glue mixture before placing the planks, I just did a small bit of regular yellow wood glue on the part of the plank that overlapped. You can actually see a bit of glue that didn't get sanded before I applied the stain in the image in this link. 

If you have any more questions let me know.

Edited by Matt H

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Thanks Matt,  I don’t think I will soak the planks in thinned glue but I will try scoring the planks.

Ric

Yes, Matt has done a great job here, he's one of my heroes. I keep referring back to this log.

FWIW, I tried scoring the planks using scrap pieces, the strips left on the sheet after the planks were removed. They were similar in thickness and shape to the actual planks.

It didn't work for me. Either the score was too shallow, or else the test piece snapped. Hopefully you will have more success. Good luck Ric, and hope to see a build log from you.

Thanks Nelson.  It seems there have been a few methods tried for planking this model.  I guess I will have to try it with a scrap piece of plywood from the kit and see which works best.  I will likely start a build log when I get started. Currently I am building my first ship which is the AL La Provencale.    So far so good.  I am ready to start building the sails.  I should have  probably done a log for that as well,  but it might be too late.  

6 hours ago, Blackreed said:

Beautiful model, what will you do with it now?

Thank you, it's on a shelf in my living room. I would like to move it into my classroom, I just haven't gotten around to transporting it. I also share the room, I teach from two different classrooms, hoping to stop teaching in one of them and move into my computer lab full time next year, if that happens I'll definitely move it into my room.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

• 1 year later...

Hi Matt.  Very nice ship!     Its been a while but I have slowly been working on my Drakkar.   The boat is pretty much done.   I may submit a build log, but in the meantime  I have a question regarding the rigging of your ship.  The main plans show a side view of the lines supporting the main mast.  These are identified as line 1 and 2.  However the overhead plan view does not show where these lines attach on the sides of the ship. Lines 1 and 2 are omitted.  In fact there are no cleats in the presumed locations to tie these two lines to the sides.  What did you do?  I can't tell from your photos.  Did you fabricate some cleats?