Not been around much in the last years due to workload but now I have retired I looking to get back into the hobby. Picked up this model today, its a naval style carriage with a larger non ferrous metal barrel, I was told it wasn't brass/bronze but I am happy with it as a garden ornament, its too big for the house. The barrel looks to be a model field gun type , no markings seen so far. So the question is what colour should I paint the carriage for weather protection red or yellow ochre?

I think its approx 1:4 scale.

Norman

50909.jpg

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hi Jan

The carriage is a modern replica sometime from 20th Century how can i tell - posi-drive screwheads, the brown colour is either a varnish or a coloured wood stain. The bore is blocked about 30 mm from the muzzle and is about 35 mm diameter. It was sold as a replica but is interesting to me as it makes a change to the stationary steam pumps I have in the garden of which one has a naval background its off a Canadian built minesweeper.

Norman

50909b.jpg

50909e.jpg

50909d.jpg

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Luckily the Posidrives are very much out of view, the wood finish looks like a weather tinted varnish that has heavily weathered where exposed and less so where sheltered which would give a problem if i were to oil the timber with such like teak or tung oils the oil will not penetrate the oak timbers, removing the varnish will be difficult as i have smashed up my left hand recently

Norman

Norman