Model Shipways Bluenose Planking Question

I have a question for the forum community.  I am working on a Model Shipways Bluenose build.  I am just starting to plank the hull.  The top plank is supposed to be aligned flush with the top of the waterway for both the foredeck and the quarter deck.  There is supposed to be a plank's width difference that allows for the step up from the fore to the quarter deck.  However on my model the height change from the fore to the quarter deck is less than the 1/8" plank.  This causes the top plank to extend above the level of the waterway on the qtr deck.  I think my best option is to trim the width of the plank so it is even with the top of the waterway.  Can anyone please advise if this will cause any problems down the road with the set up of the bulwarks on the quarter deck?  Here are a couple of pics to illustrate the problem.  

Thanks,

Ed

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

Ed, a warm welcome to MSW and your start of Bluenose.

I would trim that part, it will be covered once painted.

I like to suggest you start a build log, that way your questions will be more visible. Just a thought.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Ed, 

When You plank the deck it will bring the top of the “great beam” flush to the level of the quarterdeck. The top of  the beam is the front edge of the quarterdeck, and is a prominent feature of the deck. Then you can sand it all back to level. It all works out in the end

I struggled with this too during my build. I aLso suggest a build log. Lots of valuable help here, and many of us have built/are building this kit.

Welcome to MSW and the Bluenose Crew!

Jim

Nirvana, thanks for your reply!  You confirmed my thinking on this.  I've been reading your build log as I've been working on my build.  In fact I painted my waterways directly after installing them based on your recommendation.

Hi Jim, I think I'm good with the great beam.  My concern was with the top 2 hull planks and the way the one on the quarter deck sticks up above the waterway.  I know this will be a problem when I add the bulwark board with the scuppers.  It will be too high!  I'm going to trim this board so it is flush with the waterway.

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"