Atlantic by closehaul - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:96 Scale

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Ange, I'm sorry to have missed your log but wow, what a beautiful model!  Fantastic job!  Love the display case too.

Can I ask - did you use dry transfer letters for the name?  The lettering looks perfect!  I'm trying to figure out what to do on my Charles Morgan but the name is so long that I worry about having the letters oriented the same/right way.  

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Ange, I'm sorry to have missed your log but wow, what a beautiful model!  Fantastic job!  Love the display case too.

Can I ask - did you use dry transfer letters for the name?  The lettering looks perfect!  I'm trying to figure out what to do on my Charles Morgan but the name is so long that I worry about having the letters oriented the same/right way.  

Thank you Mike for the compliment on the build. The display case work was parceled out though. Bluejacket Shipcrafters were spot on with the cherry base dimensions. I then brought the wood base to a local custom glazier who actually specializes in glass bathroom showers. He had a crack at it and it fit the base like a glove. As for the name placement, it’s a single decal of the entire name. I just eyeballed their placement on the hull and was happy they came off their paper backing without a hitch.

Regards, Ange

Completed builds - Atlantic

Mr. Closehaul

You made an amazing piece of maritime decoration. Hull lines are very elegant!   I guess it´s a unique piece since there are a just few Atlantic’s to see. I really like the ships selection from Bluejacket. I would bet that you enjoy looking your accomplishment every single day!

Eduardo

17 hours ago, etubino said:

Mr. Closehaul

You made an amazing piece of maritime decoration. Hull lines are very elegant!   I guess it´s a unique piece since there are a just few Atlantic’s to see. I really like the ships selection from Bluejacket. I would bet that you enjoy looking your accomplishment every single day!

Eduardo

Gracias Eduardo,

Thank you for your admiration of Atlantic. I do not know why there are so few builds of Atlantic as you say. Such a beautifully designed vessel I think would be a popular model. On the other hand I can cherish the fact I've had the satisfaction to complete this wonderful kit from Bluejacket.

Adios, Angelo                

• 5 months later...

Hi Closehaul. Happy 2022. I know you have completed this model already and it turned out amazing by the way. I have been working on this kit as well and have benefitted from your wisdom. A question for which the directions are a bit vague and I could not quite make out from the photos. At the very top of the top mast there are the 3rd shroud, spring stays, and halyards that are rigged to that part of the mast. I know the halyards run through a sheeve (hole) but how did you secure the spring stays and run the 3rd shroud through the topmast. Was that with small holes? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your America model I saw you working on now.

Regards,

Chris

On 1/2/2022 at 1:05 PM, daschc01 said:

Hi Closehaul. Happy 2022. I know you have completed this model already and it turned out amazing by the way. I have been working on this kit as well and have benefitted from your wisdom. A question for which the directions are a bit vague and I could not quite make out from the photos. At the very top of the top mast there are the 3rd shroud, spring stays, and halyards that are rigged to that part of the mast. I know the halyards run through a sheeve (hole) but how did you secure the spring stays and run the 3rd shroud through the topmast. Was that with small holes? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your America model I saw you working on now.

Regards,

Chris

Thank you Chris on my Atlantic build. Yes, I ran into the same issue interpreting the instructions. They were vague as how to “wrap it around the top mast cap. Instead I followed the diagram on the sail plan that details the spreader shrouds and drilled holes for them very gently with wood backing just beneath the mast truck. I’m not savey on nautical terms but I think that is what’s meant by the top mast cap. As far as the spring stays are concerned, I Iooped them around both masts just under the mast cap and served them at each end, no holes drilled. I hope I hit it on the head with these insights. Please tag me back if you have questions.

Ciao! Ange

Thanks Ange. That’s very useful information. Just so I am clear on your explanation (and sorry I have not mastered the jargon yet as well) I attached a snapshot of the plans with the lines #1 and 2 indicated going to the very top of the Topmast. If I understand, you put a loop in the ends of those standing rigging and put them over the Topmast (similar to other stays). If so, did you have to cut a shoulder in the Topmast to keep them from slipping down? Thanks again for your patience. 

Regards,

Chris

61153DA3-FDFC-4D07-85E5-089A787D0993.jpeg

12 hours ago, daschc01 said:

Thanks Ange. That’s very useful information. Just so I am clear on your explanation (and sorry I have not mastered the jargon yet as well) I attached a snapshot of the plans with the lines #1 and 2 indicated going to the very top of the Topmast. If I understand, you put a loop in the ends of those standing rigging and put them over the Topmast (similar to other stays). If so, did you have to cut a shoulder in the Topmast to keep them from slipping down? Thanks again for your patience. 

Regards,

Chris

61153DA3-FDFC-4D07-85E5-089A787D0993.jpeg

The sail plan you sent is a great help so that I now see the issue. I drilled holes through the top mast for both #1 & #2 lines instead of wrapping them. Running lines thru the mast top is not actually on the ship. I did it to facilitate the rigging process due to my lack of skill in wrapping them around it instead. You may want to try wrapping them to have a more authentic model instead of the shortcut I took. I hope this expands on my previous reply, and good luck! It sounds like you are progressing well into the build.