Question about suitable wood for bulkheads etc

I have a Dos Amigos awaiting patiently to be started. I have had some of the pieces out a few times - just to look at them.

I am not very happy with the ply used for the bulkheads and false keel etc - I know they get covered up completely - but they are all flaky and brittle/dry feeling.

Timber supplies where I live are non-existent (or paying $50 for a 1/4 sheet of MDF - in comparison to well under $10 in civilisation for a sheet twice the size). I was considering asking one of the FIFO (Fly in/Fly out) guys to bring back something suitable on his next R & R swing. I don't want to risk getting something weird - so I thought I could ask him for something that is pretty stock standard to the non ship building world.

Question..:  Would MDF be suitable in the right thickness?

I figured re-doing these parts would also give me a little experience in cutting these parts with the scroll saw in preparation for my first scratch build sometime in the distant future.

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meridith,

As I recall, Chris Watton is using MDF on one of his new designs.  And some of the other kit manufacturers are also.   The downside is wear a facemask when cutting it.  And it will eat blades.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmm... not all hobby plywood is the same.  The European makers use 3-ply plywood.  The American makers use 5-ply.  Aircraft ply would work if you can find it thin enough.  If you're talking RC aircraft ply.. it should be good.   But again, any wood product can warp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)