18th Century Armed Longboat by SeaDoc - Model Shipways - 1:24

Hello folks - I'm a newcomer and rank amateur, but I decided to give this model a try now that I'm retired and itchy during this pandemic. I've noticed that on various websites popular tools are either backordered or out of stock. Guess there are others in my shoes and getting into modeling. I've actually completed one other build; the Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Midwest Products. I had the kit for a number of years, but between moves, work etc. etc. I never found myself in the right place at the right time so to speak. I've had a great time reading other's build logs, and hope to take the advice offered to advantage. 

First off - I think the packaging of this kit was excellent. The kit withstood the rigors of the mail delivery system, arriving quickly and unscathed. A parts inventory showed that the kit was complete and the parts intact (see images 0369 & 0370).

I have a beginner's set of tools, no keel holder, hull planking vise or building slip, so the build thus far has been done on a mat at a bench or in my lap ( see images  0372 & 0373). I have to say though, that the Hobby Zone Pro Building Slip really looked good, and even better halfway through attaching the bulkheads to the false keel/keel! I did run into trouble aligning a couple of the bulkheads to the false keel and gluing them properly, so had to use acetone to remove them and ended up damaging one of them. Oh well - too late now (see images 0379 & 0381). I had to use a little wood filler to get them right. 

I bought an electric plank bender, and am excited to try it out! 

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Well I'm a rank amateur too, but, hey, it's a hobby! You did well not to buy that Hobby Zone thing, it's really not very good, cheap mdf. You can do better with strips stuck to a board to hold the keel and a suction vice to keep it vertical, I think. My HobbyZone slip is now tucked away. 

You're off to a good start, clearly. Looks like you've marked out fairing lines? I just finished my first planking and Chuck's edge bending videos were extremely helpful, life became much easier once I had absorbed what he was getting at.  3D geometry. 

Enjoy your build. And your retirement!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'll admit to some nervousness about planking, but have already found that some small mistakes can be corrected with a little thought and wood filler. I'll check out Chuck's advice on edge bending and I hope to be able to get started within the next couple of days.

Happy building!