Revenge 1577 Mainmast questions

I'm starting to build the masts for my Revenge and I've already run into a couple of questions, I'm including a picture of the mainmast top to help clarify my question. Since the opening the mainmast comes through is 10mm x 8mm and the mast is 7mm x 7mm where it comes through the mast top allows the top some flexibility in position, a couple mm forward or back. I suspect that most of this position will be determined by correct placement of the main topmast where the mast cap determines the spacing between the two masts and the topmast should sit in the center of the hole outlined by the blue square but I'm hoping to get confirmation of the correct positioning of the two. The topmast is 6mm square there and the opening is 8mm square. There's still a millimeter or two of flexibility in the position of the topmast if it's not centered in the opening. I can't find anything in the plans or instruction that indicate how to position these pieces. My gut is telling me to center the topmast in the opening and let everything follow that.

My second question is about the fid in the main topmast. In a real ship is at all that would be preventing the topmast from dropping down? It just seems like a huge amount of stress in a tiny area, it also seems like there would be something preventing it (and the bottom of the mast) from sliding back and forth but in the kit it seems it just sits on the mast top supports freely (glued of course). In a model it's going to be fine but I'm curious and if there's a more accurate assembly I'd be interested to know what that is.

I've tried to do some research on how these things go but information on 16th century English masting isn't something I've come across yet.

P069.jpg

I very much doubt that there would be any gap to speak of on an actual vessel. Especially since the parts you are talking about are not really part of the top but constructed directly on the mast.  They are the trestle trees and cross trees. The top rests on top of and is bolted to them.  The forward hole is sized to take the heel of the topmast.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Though this is from a later ship, this diagram might help you understand how the crosstrees and trestletrees work. The top is a different shape in the later vessel, but the principle is unchanged.

model ship mast trestle tree - Google Search | Maquetas de barcos, Barcos  de madera, Construcción de barcos

10 hours ago, popeye2sea said:

The forward hole is sized to take the heel of the topmast.

which I think means the topmast can't slip through the hole - it rests on it, and the fid holds it in place.

Nice diagram.  I guess I should have been more clear with that line.  The hole for the topmast is just large enough for the heel of the topmast to fit through.  In fact, the top mast is able to pass through, and does, when the topmast is housed (lowered) or unshipped.  The fid is the only thing holding it up.

Regards

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thanks for the information and diagram. It really helps to understand the usage from a real ship as I try to put the model together. I'm still amazed that the fid is the only thing preventing the topmast from dropping down, I would have though it would have been iron instead of wood at least but I'm sure they knew what would work and what wouldn't.

That's news to me as well - I'd thought there was a "tenon" at the lower end of the topmast that fitted into the space, and that the fid just made sure it didn't waggle around. You learn something new every day (if you're not careful!)