HMS Pegasus by daveor - Victory Models

HI Alistair,

I'm based in Ireland - I've updated my signature.

Thanks for the input on the books. I'll probably just get one of the volumes for now and see how I go from there. Seems like quite a strong recommendation for volume 2.

daveor

Current: HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)

Complete: Albatross (Constructo)

Good start... I guess I got lucky in that most of my hull construction was done before the great crash. I had a huge selection of logs to follow, so at the moment I only have vol. 4 to help me with the rigging. If I had to do it over again, knowing what I knw now, I'd have the whole set for guidance. In the mean time, keep asking questions and we'll help you as best we can.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Dave, I have pics of the planking for Pegasus in my log, The lengths and planking pattern was taken from the Swan series of books, another member helped me with the research. I can't remember off hand the length and the pattern used, but I'll go measure and draw out the pattern for you.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Hi Caroline,

That's very kind of you to do! I saw the planking in your build log, which looks great. Were you going for historical accuracy? I would really appreciate it if you could give me the dimensions you used if you don't mind.

I'm not sure how to link to a particular image, but in this post:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/710-hms-pegasus-by-vulcanbomber-victory-models/?p=13713

I think I can see the planking well enough to figure out you used a four butt shift?

I'm probably going to order the volume 2 of the swan series but it'll be a little while before that gets here.

daveor

Edited by daveor

Hi Dave, I got a little mixed up with the planking, I was thinking hull planking!

The length of deck planking was usually between 20 and 30 foot, I don't think there was a hard and fast rule of how long they had to be.

I went for a 26 foot length, which scaled down was 125mm. I used a 5 butt shift, with a 25mm stagger.

Arthur's (AEW) deck planking calculator is quite useful. Also there is a deck Planking Tutorial by Ulises Victoria which explains how to plank the deck using the butt shift patterns. Both can be found in the MSW Database.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Hi Caroline,

Those are some great links thanks. Researching the deck planking is progressing well, thanks to all of the extremely helpful people on this site! I'll continue looking into it and post a new update soon.

daveor

Very nice work so far, Dave, she's coming along beautifully  :)

With regards to your questions on the deck planking, I checked the 1/48 upper deck planking drawing on my TFFM II and noted the following dimensions (reduce these to 75% for you kit's 1/64 scale):

Width of King/Central Plank and the three planks immediately on each side of it=7mm

Width of the rest of the planks outboard of the above 7planks=6mm (except for the 4 outermost planks, which are arranged in top and butt fashion)

Plank length is variable, about 120mm on the average

Planking appears to be 3-butt shift (three planks in between parallel butts)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo,

thanks for the great information you provided - I have a load of options to digest now.

I have also ordered Vol 2 of TFFM and when it arrives I will review that too.

daveor