Museum Researcher looking for assistance

Good morning! 

My name is Holly and I am a Research Officer at a small regional museum, mostly focused on military history. Yesterday afternoon a woman came in with a homemade ship model, unlike any I've seen before (or have seen scrolling through some of the posts on here!) and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I don't even know if ya'll would consider this a "model" or if there is another term I'm not familiar with!  I've attached a photo...it's relief style,  mean to be hung. The oar is not attached, and comes off cleanly.  The woman did not want to give me much information about it, just that it was found in a house she had bought, that she thought it was 50 years old, and that she thought it was made by a previous owner,  a doctor that had built a sailboat. 

Would appreciate any information/redirection! 

Cheers, 

Holly 

boatmodel.jpg

Hi Holly and welcome to Model Ship World.  The photo is of a half hull ship model.  Per Wikipedia: "A half hull model ship (also known as a "half hull" or "half ship") is a wooden model ship featuring only one half of a boat's hull without rigging or other fixtures.  Prior to the twentieth century, half hull model ships were constructed by shipwrights as a means of planning a ship's design and sheer and ensuring that the ship would be symmetrical. The half hulls were mounted on a board and were exact scale replicas of the actual ship's hull. With the advent of computer design, half hulls are now built as decorative nautical art and constructed after a ship is completed."

I hope this help out.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

22 minutes ago, FRMResearcher said:

I don't even know if ya'll would consider this a "model" or if there is another term I'm not familiar with!  

Hello Holly, welcome to MSW.

Two things:

One: This is what is known as a 'half hull' model. They were used for centuries by shipwrights to give a 3D representation of a ship's shape, and could be of an existing ship or a proposal. This may have been as a reference to allow the lines (the shape of the hull) to be studied or copied, or it could even have been used as a sales aid when making a pitch to a prospective investor. This is a much more modern item and, again, may represent a specific craft being built or (more likely) was a model of a known craft with personal ties.

Two: If you are near a body of water then you may find that it represents one of the local types.  Whatever your region, if there was a significant waterway there will be some local characteristic craft. You have not indicated where you are but you did say 'ya'll' so ... southern USA? 😊

HTH

Bruce (retired researcher 😉)

EDIT: Ryland beat me to it by one minute.

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

From the appearance of the model in the photograph, its age looks to be less than 50 years and the estimate of about 25 to 40 seems about right.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

3 hours ago, bruce d said:

I like you explanation better.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

On 11/17/2020 at 10:27 AM, bruce d said:

Hello Holly, welcome to MSW.

Two things:

One: This is what is known as a 'half hull' model. They were used for centuries by shipwrights to give a 3D representation of a ship's shape, and could be of an existing ship or a proposal. This may have been as a reference to allow the lines (the shape of the hull) to be studied or copied, or it could even have been used as a sales aid when making a pitch to a prospective investor. This is a much more modern item and, again, may represent a specific craft being built or (more likely) was a model of a known craft with personal ties.

Two: If you are near a body of water then you may find that it represents one of the local types.  Whatever your region, if there was a significant waterway there will be some local characteristic craft. You have not indicated where you are but you did say 'ya'll' so ... southern USA? 😊

HTH

Bruce (retired researcher 😉)

I'm in Atlantic Canada, we have a lot of similarities with the Southern US - many of the founders of my city were from Virginia. Thank you for your reply! 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:26 AM, Ryland Craze said:

Hi Holly and welcome to Model Ship World.  The photo is of a half hull ship model.  Per Wikipedia: "A half hull model ship (also known as a "half hull" or "half ship") is a wooden model ship featuring only one half of a boat's hull without rigging or other fixtures.  Prior to the twentieth century, half hull model ships were constructed by shipwrights as a means of planning a ship's design and sheer and ensuring that the ship would be symmetrical. The half hulls were mounted on a board and were exact scale replicas of the actual ship's hull. With the advent of computer design, half hulls are now built as decorative nautical art and constructed after a ship is completed."

I hope this help out.

Thank you!